free website stats program New TSSM (HFSM) Install Help Needed! | Harley Davidson Forums

New TSSM (HFSM) Install Help Needed!

JDPEagle

I have been eyeing the H-D Security System for a while now. After some research, I decided to make the plunge and went down to my local “stealership” to pickup the newest (HFSM) system (68207-07) for my ’09 FXDC. Here is where the confusion and mismatched stories begin…

This is where I was first told that the “dealership must install the alarm because of the fob/HFSM/ECM syncing.” First of all, whenever one of these “clowns” tells me that any part I buy MUST be installed by their (dis)service departments, I run (which I did in this case). As I often do, I ran straight home for my trusty macbook and HDTimeline. I read where a few people have conceded the need to have the stealerships “flash” the bike to communicate with the fob, and I also read where a few people paid a “stealer” to simply “flash” a bike which already had the HFSM self-installed for around $20 and 20 minutes of time.

Loaded with this new found knowledge, I called 4 Atlanta-area stealerships and inquired about this $20 flash of the ECM/HFSM. All of them insisted that the bike would not start once I installed the HFSM myself, and that I would need to trailer the bike to them. At that point, I would have to pay for one hour (at $85 hourly rate) of “service,” and that if the flash would not take the first time, they would need to charge me more to re-install the system (up to 2 additional hours) (they obviously did not like the idea of me installing anything myself… go figure).

Is any portion of what they are saying correct? Will I not be able to start up the bike and ride it over to a “stealership” once I install the new HFSM security system? Are the (dis)service departments no longer syncing key fobs for $20? If any of this is true, the MoCo can “gently” place the units where the Milwaukee sun doesn’t shine! :newsmile055:

Thanks for such an awesome board!

Since your bike is new and under warranty, did your HD dealer at least offer discounts to upgrade you to factory alarm system? There is some Self Help information regarding the programming of the TSSM, but syncing the FOBS to it and the ECM is an HD dealer thing. My local dealer even supplies tow vehicle in to do the deed (if you installed the TSSM and Security System II yourself)...the syncing is less than an hours work w/ programming the manual combination override with their Digitech tool...

Since your bike is new and under warranty, did your HD dealer at least offer discounts to upgrade you to factory alarm system? There is some Self Help information regarding the programming of the TSSM, but syncing the FOBS to it and the ECM is an HD dealer thing. My local dealer even supplies tow vehicle in to do the deed (if you installed the TSSM and Security System II yourself)...the syncing is less than an hours work w/ programming the manual combination override with their Digitech tool...

Thanks for the reply, HDFAN. My stealership won't offer me a discount for anything. This new and "improved" system seems to do little more than permanently marry me to the deceitful dealership "service" network, and will make me 100% dependent on them for my bike to even run (future fob problems/losses/battery failures, etc.).

The older (push button fob) systems at least allowed the independent H-D owner to maintain and service their own security system. Does anyone know of a good security system alternative since H-D made this very poor technical decision (add it to their list)?

Sorry for the rant, but I am floored by this profit driven digression and abuse of technology

I have the button fob system, and it works just fine...true you have to have them do the fob sync thing, but other than that, all the parts can be installed by you without to much trouble. Go to Zanotti's or similar for discounted HD parts, the sync with Digitech is only 'bout $100 tops, if you do the rest of the install yourself. Check the self help section for details...or at the very least find another dealer who will work with you. Overall, you will find most HD owners are satisfied with the current alarm system w/ immobilizer and adding the Security II module adds the reassuring *chirp* and is compable to most aftermarket alarm systems.

Back