free website stats program New to this | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New to this

Welcome, congrates on the new to you bike. Have a friend that rides a Harley come over and listen to it at first start up, see what he thinks.

My dealer will have a tech ride a bike to listen for abnormal noises,no charge.Just make sure it's a seasoned guy.

Thanks everyone!! I have not changed the oil in it yet. I am going to get some today and change the engine, transmission and primary oils and see what happens.

The noise is pretty noticeable, when I first heard it I was thinking there was no oil in it. The oil looks fine and to the level it needs to be at but am definitely changing all of it so that way I know what is in it and can go from there.

The noise goes away completely in about 35 to 45 seconds and does not start again until it's completely cooled down and I start it up again, like the next day.

Once I get the oil changed I'll advise how it sounds and what not.

Thanks everyone for any help!!

The OEM lifters will bleed down over night, some more than others, which means they will be noisy on cold start up until they pump back up. If the noise goes away in a minute or so as you say, that it what is going on and normal. The OEM lifters are not the best quality IMHO and many replace them with better quality aftermarket lifters that are manufactured with tighter tolerances to resist bleed down. Not suggesting you need to do that but many do. Lifters from S&S, Woods are two many use but on the price side; CompCams VThunder 850-1 lifters are the choice of those that don't want expensive replacements.

Welcome from south Texas.

I think Dolt has you covered on the noise you are experiencing.

However, if the ticking persists and changes speed with the rpm of the engine, then another possibility is a slight rotation of the rocker shafts as the rockers move up and down. A good solution for this is Rocker Lockers. Check this out:

http://rockerlockers.com/

Cheers,

TQ

Well I replaced the engine oil with Royal Purple and transmission and primary with Lucas last night. Today I started the bike for the first time since it was changed and the noise was completely gone. I am not sure what was in it for oil when I got it but now I know what's in it and if that's all it took then I am now one happy (EDIT) because it sounds fantastic and how I thought it should. Maybe I should have done that before freaking out and posting on here lol. It just didn't seem right with the miles and the oil levels were fine. Anyways, hopefully it continues to be great and I appreciate all the ideas and help from you all. Be safe riding everyone and thanks again!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update.
The very first thing I do when I buy a used scooter, car, truck, lawnmower or anything else with a gasoline engine is to change ALL fluids, filters, plugs etc. [Then as you said, I know what's in it and how long it's been in it. ). You done good. Now go enjoy that Ultra.

Edited to add: let us know how she's doing after a couple rides and a few hundred miles.

Back