free website stats program New to the Harley world, can someone please identify this bike | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New to the Harley world, can someone please identify this bike

This bike is a conglomeration of stuff. First it has a right hand shift putting it somewhere back in the 60's. The distributer or magneto and cam cover appear to be after market stuff, not that thats a bad thing but you don't know what you have here. Best advise to stay away from something like this. NIGHTMARE

Hey all,
I'm looking to buy my first Harley, a classic, and am hoping some of you can help let me know some about the on I've found.

Current owner says its an all original 1970 Iron Head 1200 sportster. What do you think? Also, what a fair price for such a bike?

Thanks, Joe

HMMM - OP joined 6/17 , posted this 6/18 , last activity was 6/19 ---- Hope he didnt get mad at the response's here and not want to sign back on or worse yet DIDNT take the advice & bought the scoot anyway and having nothing but trouble with it!!!!:s Hope all is good whatever the case maybe!!

First off in 1972 Harley went with a 1000 cc engine replacing the 900 cc, not the 883 cc. Second, in 1975, by DOT mandate, Harley had to move the shifter and brakes. Shifter went from right side to the left and the brakes went from the left to the right.

If it's a 1200 then it's not original. No 1200's that far back. Don't trust him or the bike unless you don't mind working on it. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off in 1972 Harley went with a 1000 cc engine replacing the 900 cc, not the 883 cc. Second, in 1975, by DOT mandate, Harley had to move the shifter and brakes. Shifter went from right side to the left and the brakes went from the left to the right.

If it's a 1200 then it's not original. No 1200's that far back. Don't trust him or the bike unless you don't mind working on it. JMO.

It comes down to 1 of 2 choices, do you want to wrench or do you want to ride? :newsmile082:

Back