free website stats program New to the Harley world, can someone please identify this bike | Harley Davidson Forums

New to the Harley world, can someone please identify this bike

Hotrod20s

Hey all,
I'm looking to buy my first Harley, a classic, and am hoping some of you can help let me know some about the on I've found.

Current owner says its an all original 1970 Iron Head 1200 sportster. What do you think? Also, what a fair price for such a bike?

Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• 70 iron 1.jpg
    70 iron 1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 264
  • 70 iron 2.jpg
    70 iron 2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 196
  • 70 iron 3.jpg
    70 iron 3.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 70 iron 4.jpg
    70 iron 4.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 212
I'm by no means an expert and can't really say for sure. It has a shovelhead engine which were made by H-D from 1966 to 1984 assuming its not an aftermarket one. It has lots of extra add-ons. If I had to guess, I'd say its from the 70's or early 80s but not sure of the model. Someone else here will know I'm sure.

Motor looks like Ironhead Sporty, but very little else looks original, which wouldn't be a surprise.

Frame isn't
Gas tank isn't
Seat isn't
Oil Tank isn't
Handle bars aren't

The drum brakes probably are original. :)

An 'all original' 1970 Sportster looks something a little more like this:
Bike Gallery: 1970 Harley Davidson Ironhead Sportster

I would carefully check the paperwork for this bike.
Also, I don't think HD made a 1200 Ironhead in the 70's.. more likely
900 cc or 1000 cc

I had a '72 Ironhead when I was younger, without question the worst motorcycle
I have ever owned.

Buyer beware.

Unless you want something to hone your mechanical skills, walk away. There is nothing "original" about that bike, and probably a lot of "creative" fabrication was used on it over the years.

I agree with Breeze, I call that type of bike an abortion and it will probably require much work just to get/keep it running.

Hotrod20s. welcome to the forum, i would keep looking there is a lot of HDs out there for sale. be patient and you will the find the one that you really want with out the problems that this one looks like it might (or will) have. JMO

As long as we're playing "name that bike" can someone tell me what the year and model bike is in this video please? It's a great song/video if you're into 80's heavy metal music. The bike shows up in the first 25 seconds, so if you're not into heavy metal, you won't have to suffer thru the video :D

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsoLb-E7oy8

Back