free website stats program New (to me) electra glide | Harley Davidson Forums

New (to me) electra glide

Not new to many folks, but this past week on the way to my vacation destination, I purchased a 1996 Electra Glide Classic. It has 67K miles, but is in very good shape. For me it is a step up - been driving a 82 FLT. This will allow me to put the FLT on the lift and do some serious work on it (even through it runs very well, I have discovered a ring job is in order).

Congrats on the new to you ride. Have fun riding the new while tinkering with the old and be sure post some pics of both when you get a chance.

Well the bike ran like a dream on its inaugural ride (300 miles). What a smooth cruise (especially compared to the 82 FLT). The MPGs were only about 32 or so. Flt gets 48. Tomorrow will poke around some and see if I can figure out how to lift the seat to check the battery and attach a trickle charge connection. Also will check the primary. Next week when I can get the supplies I will do a full fluid transfusion on the bike.
HD dealership guy (I did not buy this bike at a HD dealership) who helped me give the bike a once over before my ride saw only one leak that was of concern (between the primary and the trans). He said it could be the more serious main seal or hopefully a less serious shifter connection.
Will post some pics soon.

Congrats on the new ride.

Those Evo's run forever and can be built to make lots of power for very reasonable coin.

On a similar topic, I am beginning to realize that I am one of the few people I know with only one motorcycle in the stable.

Perhaps I need a second motorcycle as well.....:D

Don't feel like the "lone ranger" up in Canada, FLH C... I have one ride and am a "lone ranger" here in the US...second motorcycle...? Yeah that would be a plus...!:D

Had 3 at one time, The Redhead said I could keep one LOL, now she says I can get a trike in 2 years Women cant figure them out:p

Had 3 at one time, The Redhead said I could keep one LOL, now she says I can get a trike in 2 years Women cant figure them out:p

A few years ago i had spent 3 winters in the bike shed doing a full nuts and bolts restoration of a BMW r100rt the 1st winter after it was finished i think the wife got sick of me being in the house all the time and found a basket case Honda for me cost £30 delivered it kept me busy for 5 months

Brian

Back