free website stats program New to HDT - Tire, wheel and bearing questions | Harley Davidson Forums

New to HDT - Tire, wheel and bearing questions

jrpdash9

Hey guys, so my bike needs new tires and rear wheel bearings. I found a good set if timkens on eBay but I was surprised there is dust "cap" ? Anyone care to explain this? Or point me in the right direction?
And with the tires I have a wire spoke front rim and I'm gonna go ahead and assume that one has a tube in it. Could I just go to any bike shop to get that?

Speaking to the tube, there are wheels that require a tube that exits the center of the wheel, stem points toward the axel, and some that exit out sideways. Laced wheels require a tube. I would look at a motorcycle tire shop.

There are dust caps on the bearings this is to help prevent the ingress of dirt and water and also help keep the grease in
When you have removed the bearings you will hopefully find some shims between one of the bearings and the spacer between the bearings
once the new bearings are fitted prior to packing with grease the end float of the axle needs to be checked as there needs to be a wee bit of end float to allow for heat expansion as this has to be done correctly the correct tools need to be used and the procedure along with the part numbers for the different thicknesses of the shims is in the service manual if you do not feel confident of carrying out this procedure then you should have the bearings replaced by a professional that knows how to do it as having a wheel lock up or wobble at high speed is not a good experience
Any motorcycle tube of the correct size should work ok

Brian

I replaced the bearings in my CBR and Yamaha with no problems. When I had the rear wheel off when I changed the sprocket I did not notice any dust caps witch is y I was a little concerned. But that means nothing because it was fairly dirty and inadequate light. I will probably end up going to a dealer to get the bearings.

As the tapered bearings are in 2 parts with the inner bearing sitting in the outer if there was no dust cap the inner part of the bearing would fall out when the wheel is removed
I have worked with similar bearings on motto guzzi and bmw bikes and if looked after the bearings will last a long time periodic maintenance can be done by removing the dust cap cleaning the bearing and repacking with grease new dust caps should be fitted as removing them can damage the dust caps

Brian

Thanks ! I've been doing some research on it I'm gonna go look at them again today . I wasent really looking for them last time. And I just Hurd if moto guzzi like 6 months ago. They are pretty sweet

If you do have any questions just ask i did the wheel bearings on the softail 2 years ago and this time last year i did the sportster the first one took a wee bit of time to sort out exactly what i was doing but the other 3 wheels have not taken long now that i know what works for me and my tools

Brian

Back