free website stats program New To HD | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New To HD

Welcome to the forum from another woman rider. I guess I don't have to say TAKE THE RIDERS COURSE, since that's already been echoed numerous times. To this day, I routinely use information I learned in that course. Always will. It just starts you out on the right foot. If you can find the beater bike, fine. That's a better way to learn. If you can't, try to get used to the Street Bob in areas with little or no traffic. After taking the rider course, I first rode my Heritage in our pasture, then out on rural highways. I gradually progressed to small communities and towns, then the city. Don't rush anything. You've inherited a great bike, so take it slow and get lots of help so your experience stays positive. You are in for a real treat. :D Also, you can have things adjusted on that bike to make it fit you better if necessary. Good luck!!!

I'm going to echo everyone else here, at least in regards to the Basic Riders Course. You just cant get a better foundation to build on. Where I will differ is the whole beater bike thing. I suppose there is some merit to that philosophy, But even in good financial times I dont know many people that can just go get a throw away bike. After sucessfully completeing the Basic Rider Course you will be armed with the knowledge needed to become proficient on your Street Bob, after the basics learn on what you are going to ride. The learning curve may be a tad steeper at first but you will reach your end goal sooner. It sounds like from your post you have the confidence and desire it will take to be a safe rider, so IMO go for it jump in be prepared for the challanges meet them one at a time , and above all else have fun. Riding a motorcycle requires serious attention to what you are doing and EVERYTHING going on around you but the rewards are untold, and unequalled by almost anything else.

I definitely plan on taking the class. I'm signed up for one at the end of the month and I won't attempt this bike without it. I know they teach on ones a whole lot smaller and getting on this will seem like going from a tricycle to a tank. I will take my time and practice on my friends smaller bike first for sure. I also plan on slow rides in parking lots and on the country roads where I live. Thank you for the advice. I knew I came to the right place when I decided that I may want to keep Bob.:bigsmiley12:

Congrats on acquiring the scoot & getting signed up for riding course. Just remember, after the course, start slow. Had female co-worker & coached her into putting around neighborhood. We eventually moved onto 30 - 40 mph roads & 2-lane hwy & interstate. Her smile widened w/every "graduation" and now she's running w/the pack on bike night & poker runs. Just progress at your own pace...good luck!

Get on youtube and find Jerry Motorman Palladino...All the basic's to watch before the safety course !!! Ride like a pro will change your life !!!
Just my two cents.

Get on youtube and find Jerry Motorman Palladino...All the basic's to watch before the safety course !!! Ride like a pro will change your life !!!
Just my two cents.

I think she needs to learn how to "ride like a newbee" first before she starts attempting to drag her floorboards too much.

I think she needs to learn how to "ride like a newbee" first before she starts attempting to drag her floorboards too much.

Jim sorry but I disagree...Point being..a newbee needs all the skill's available to them to stay alive. Jerry is not all about "Dragging the Boards"..He teaches basic manuvering skill's, Slow speed transitions and other boring stuff that will SAVE YOUR LIFE !!!!

Jim sorry but I disagree...Point being..a newbee needs all the skill's available to them to stay alive. Jerry is not all about "Dragging the Boards"..He teaches basic manuvering skill's, Slow speed transitions and other boring stuff that will SAVE YOUR LIFE !!!!

In the "Ride Like a Pro" DVDs their are slow speed learning exercises that you can practice in an empty parking lot. The exercises would be helpful even after you pass your class.
Link: Welcome to Ride Like A Pro | Order your motorcycle instruction DVD's online

I don't have much horse back riding experience (unless you count the one near the doors at Wal Mart:s) however, their may be some similarity's.

Both can be as gentle as a Lamb if ridden properly, both can be a real Beast if not done right.

Will be looking forward to hearing of your progress!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I definitely plan on taking the class. I'm signed up for one at the end of the month and I won't attempt this bike without it. I know they teach on ones a whole lot smaller and getting on this will seem like going from a tricycle to a tank. I will take my time and practice on my friends smaller bike first for sure. I also plan on slow rides in parking lots and on the country roads where I live. Thank you for the advice. I knew I came to the right place when I decided that I may want to keep Bob.:bigsmiley12:

check the paring lot for gravel before you get out there and start braking in it, JM2cents

Back