free website stats program New To HD | Harley Davidson Forums

New To HD

barbiepoo

I just 'inherited' a brand spanking new 2012 Street Bob. :small3d031: Beautiful bike - black denim. I am determined to keep and master this bike and would like the opinions of the HD universe to guide me in my journey.:help No, I'm not an experienced rider. The bike speaks to me though and I just feel I need to hold onto her and give her the love and respect she deserves by enjoying riding. I'm not a very big woman but can hold my own on a horse that may have attitude, so I'm wondering if that kind of confidence will help me - or am I just taking on more than I can handle.:small3d002: Giving the bike up will cause some sentimental sadness so I really want to keep her.:newsmile038: She feels good as far as height goes and she has those mini ape hangers which don't feel bad either, so the comfort level isn't much of an issue. I'd appreciate any feedback you may want to give me. I have a thick skin so I can take some harsh criticism if you think it's what I need to hear.:bigsmiley12:

Have you ever ridden anything before? I say that because I don't doubt that you can have mastery over this bike at some point, but it's the getting there that could prove hazardous. I might suggest that you get a smaller "beater bike" so to speak, that you can get good and comfortable with then you can ride this bike, the one that speaks to you, with relative confidence. :s
And welcome to the forum!

If you have never ridden before I strongly suggest that you take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riders course. You can start at your local Harley dealer, they will either offer the course or can tell you where to go to sign up. These courses are taught as though you have never seen a motorcycle and usually start you on something smaller. You will know after you take the course if you still want to ride and if you will be comfortable starting on a large bike or if you will need something smaller to learn on.

wow, lucky gal. +1 on the Motorcycle safety course. And then maybe ask around for someone whom may have a "beater bike" for a few afternoons in a empty parking lot. You are going to want to be extremely comfortable on this, or any bike before you have to think about other traffic. there are people from all corners of the globe on this site, you may even get an offer to coach you if you post your general location. Also many good books and online reading you can find to advance your skills when you get the basics down. Welcome to the forums. and If you have never ridden any kind of motorcycle, don't rush into it.

Good Suggestions above.....

I too think the RIDERS course is the Very First Thing you could do...

IF you have NO riding experience, that is BETTER Yet,,,,
You have None of the Bad Habits that No Schooling before we rode, developed in the Most of us...:small3d031:

YES, Most of us have hard to break Un-safe habits that came on with (in my case) riding my first motorcycle as a way pre-teen... A lawnmower engined doodle-bug...:newsmile026:

I taught myself and not always the correct, safe ways to ride.

Many years latter, and Still finding Now,,,

I'M NEVER TO OLD OR SO SKILLED TO LEARN.....

Welcome to the Life style of a BIKER..:D And to Our Forum...

Learn to ride Correctly and Safely. THEN,

May you enjoy riding that Special Bike....

signed....BUBBIE

Welcome to the forum! Let me add my endorsement to taking a BRC (Basic Rider Course) to teach you the fundamentals of riding. They supply the bikes so if you happen to drop one, it's a LOT cheaper than replacing parts on a Harley. Find an experienced riding buddy in your area (there may be some that post on this board) and have some fun. I wouldn't recommend planning on driving back and forth to work right off if you live in a large city with lots of traffic. Start off slowly...back PAVED roads and parking lots. Become confident in your ability to handle the bike. That's one heck of a bike to learn on but you can do it. I'd rather teach someone on a heavyweight than on some little puddlesplasher any day.

Welcome to The Forum. You have a VERY good Big Twin to work with, that said a Riders Course is in order and practice will give you the confidence you need:s

I rode a bike back in college, and then was off bikes for almost 20 years. BEFORE getting back on a bike ('91 Dyna), I took the riders' course. Best money spent!! Relearned all the stuff I had forgotten, and some of the stuff I never knew! I strongly endorse this approach. Then if you are still a bit concerned, get a used throw-away intermediate sized rice-burner like a Honda Rebel (250cc) or Shadow (750cc) and practice up on that until you feel ready for the Harley. There is really no hurry, and what you don't want to do it to get into trouble and hurt yourself or the Harley.

TQ

Welcome to the forum Barbiepoo! You will never get any HARSH criticism here, but lots of good advice as in the previous posts. My input right now is
don't rush yourself. I have been riding for 53 years and don't feel like I've "mastered" it yet. Maybe why I'm still intact. I've know lots of small women that ride, some on baggers. Go slow and enjoy it all.

I too think that you should take the riders course offered at your local Harley dealer. It will give you the confidence you need to get out and learn to ride. Get someone to mentor you, if possible, and practice as much as you can on your own bike. Good riding and welcome to the fun side.

Back