free website stats program New to Harley's | Harley Davidson Forums

New to Harley's

mrnascar97

New to Harley's and new to the forum but not new to biking. I purchased a new 2013 Heritage Softail last week. Before that I owned many different brands of bikes and have been riding for over fifty years. All of my previous bikes were either chain or shaft drive. This is my first experience with belt drive. Which leads me to my question.

After putting the first 500 miles on the bike I put it up on the motorcycle lift to clean the whitewalls. When turning the wheel by hand it is not free wheeling there seems to be a lot of drag. Is that normal? Also there is a black or dark dust or residue on the back fender (peral white paint). I can't tell if the brake is draging or not, no abs. Is this normal or due I have a probem?

And yes I promise to go over and put together my profile!

It is normal for there to be drag on the drive wheel, you are working against turning thru the tranny gears as well as the rear brake drag. the dust could be combo of brake dust and dirt from the back tire, a good washing should take care of this, happy riding:D
:rider:ws

First welcome to the forum. Next if you don't already own a manual it will be your best friend when it is time to work on your bike. There is some resistance from the belt and there is a predetermined amount of deflection for the belt. As for the brakes, there is some drag but should just "kiss" the disc.

:ws from Connecticut, Congrats on the new Harley and :rider Safe.
WAP.gif

Back