free website stats program New to Harleys | Harley Davidson Forums

New to Harleys

Riversmallies

The wife and I just inherited a 2010 FXDC from her dad. It's a beauty. Only has 404 miles on it. I've got a bit of angst, and would love some input. See, I've ridden motorcycles off and on all my life. But all my experience is limited to either strictly dirt or dual purpose bikes. My current bike is a Kawasaki KLR 650.

I've never ridden a bike as large or as powerful as this. Any input or tips on things to look out for, differences in handling, etc would be greatly appreciated. Frankly, I don't know what to expect, other than it's gonna be heavier, and louder than what I'm used to.

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to get out on the new (to me) bike.

Welcome to The Forum
:rider:ws The power curve is going to be way different, plus the way you sit in the bike not on it Enjoy:D

It's way different than what you are used to. Just take it slow and easy and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the forum.

Having come from very light bikes to heavy I can say the one thing that I became aware of quickly, keep the thing as vertical as possible when moving it around by hand. 650 pounds is a lot of weight no matter how much man you are.

I would consider a MSF course to hone up on your riding skills. Then find a deserted parking lot (schools on the weekend are good) and practice those skills and get used to the weight of the bike.

Welcome to the Forum from the Great State of Texas :TEXAS

You have just entered a great, new adventure in life. Take your time, dont get stewpid or brave, take care of her ( and name it).:D

And like the Mod's say........Read the Self Help Section on a rainy day.

Be Safe, Have Fun

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Back