free website stats program New to Harley motor /tranny Q's | Harley Davidson Forums

New to Harley motor /tranny Q's

mattmuir

Hello all. I have put a few hundred miles on the new to me 2000 Ultra. Bike has 8k miles and I dont know if it runs syn or dyno oil in it. I am going to change it this weekend to full syn but have a question or two hundred. I hear what sounds like valve tapping when I run it no knocks just a little noisy tippy tap. Normal? Also the tranny seems klunky. Not used to hearing every shift. I am guessing that you all go full syn all the way around, any suggestions on brand? Dont want to start a this is better than that war but if I stay with quality should I be all right?

Search these on forum:
Motor oil poll
Primary oil poll
Transmission oil poll
And you will find pages and pages of info (more than you could read in a night).
Mine has EVO engine and top end is a little noisy as well as hearing every shift.
Personally I use Mobil 1 v-twin 20w-50 in crankcase, Spectro platinum GL-5 (for 6 speed tranny) and Spectro primary fluid (just switched from Formula +. Good lube but I was at indy shop that sells spectro so got both spectro products while I was there)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I will do my searches...I am just lazy.Just makes me nervous when I hear noisy motors. My sons Yamaha wheeler is so tappy that is drives me crazy. Dealer says they are all that way. Its gonna get 15/40 or full syn to see if helps.Younger son has a Kawi 110 that has never not started on the first kick ..never had the choke on..even in cold ..and is quiet as a mouse. Little bike is is so simple, no frills but just runs.

Twin cam engines are a bit noisy. Using the proper weight oil as recommended by the manufacturer should be followed instead of substitutions. There was much research put into the choice of oil by Harley engineers and changing the weight could bring about unwanted results. JMHO

Yeah I am going to run 20/50 in the Harley the other oil was for my sons 4-wheeler. Just did not know if there was a fav brand for the v-twins.

These motors are a little noisy I run M1 20/50 in motor and primary and Redline shockproof in tranny and like the results.:bigsmiley12:

Yeah I am going to run 20/50 in the Harley the other oil was for my sons 4-wheeler. Just did not know if there was a fav brand for the v-twins.

Many national chain auto parts stores carry Mobile1 Vtwin, and/or other name brand air cooled mcy. oil. Many metric shops and some HD shops carry Amsoil.
I use Mobil1 vtwin, because I know I can get some in any town in the US if I need it. Many HD riders use 75/90 or 75/140 (insert brand here) in the trans., it lessens, but does not eliminate the Harley clunks. A good 30 viscosity without friction modifiers (non epa type) is ok in the primary.

Not PANIC you, the 2000 IF and Early 2ooo may have a problem from HD factory WHEN built.

The way to find out IF the problem is Potentially there is LOOK at the Build date... Found on the left front ,front down tube, Flashlight and look it is there big enough to see 1' away...

NOW IF it READS ANY DATE IN 99 yr BUILT:newsmile055:, there is some concern, IF the date shows 00 your GOOD.

Look first and Get back and I'll go into more detail.

HOPEFULLY 00

signed....BUBBIE

Search these on forum:
Motor oil poll
Primary oil poll
Transmission oil poll
And you will find pages and pages of info (more than you could read in a night).
Mine has EVO engine and top end is a little noisy as well as hearing every shift.
Personally I use Mobil 1 v-twin 20w-50 in crankcase, Spectro platinum GL-5 (for 6 speed tranny) and Spectro primary fluid (just switched from Formula +. Good lube but I was at indy shop that sells spectro so got both spectro products while I was there)

The above IS GOOD Information from another one of our "Good" members here at HDT....Thanks for your posting JBC2565:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back