free website stats program New tire rubs | Harley Davidson Forums

New tire rubs

wannaride

I just put a Dunlop 404 on, 140-90-16 & it rubs on the inside of the fender where the bolt goes through for the tour pack bracket & bracing to the rear saddle bag bracket. I have run the Metzler & Kenda in this size but the Dunlop rubs all the time. I think the Metzler did when two up on a big bump but never one up. Good thing I got some new wheels & tires, may need to fit them sooner than I planned. It does not seem to be hurting the tire, just enough to be annoying. I have a 1999 Ultra Classic.

Toby

I would certainly address that ASAP. You don't want any surprises @ 60 mph. Did the wheel spacers go back in the proper location ?

Have you checked your rear suspension, Are the air shocks working and tire PSI correct? Tire and wheel installed correctly spacing is correct ?

I am certain the spacers are in correct, the air shocks are working & tires inflated proper. Will look into the spacers, if there is 1/8-3/16 difference that would do it.

Toby

used to be in the tire business(auto) and you would be surprised at the variation within the "same size" You shouldnt be too surprised if you find that kind of problem occassionally.

Good luck with that tire rub,by the way Dunlop states not to use the D404 on Big Twin Motorcycles

Good luck with that tire rub,by the way Dunlop states not to use the D404 on Big Twin Motorcycles
Here why.....
MU85B16 77H BW 3017-23 3.00 3.50 25.71 5.51 11/32 908 @ 40
MU85B16 77H SW 3018-23 3.00 3.50 25.71 5.51 11/32 908 @ 40
MU85B16 77H WWW 3019-23 3.00 3.50 25.71 5.51 11/32 908 @ 40

D404
140/90-16 71H BW 32NK-46 3.50 25.78 5.89 9/32 761 @ 41

Look at the load rating!!!!!!!!!

So 1500# between the front & rear. Not too concerned, since I don't load it down. I might be changing over to an E3 that are on SG wheels that I picked up. I am hoping to do the 2002+ upgrade on the rear swing arm & go to the 1" axle on the front.

Toby

I pulled the tire today to check the spacers, it has two spacers that are the same size & one that is larger. I am wandering if it is the bushings in the swing arm. That would make sense, since it is on the belt side pulling it over. But with the tire off I don't feel any play. The tire is about an 1" on the rotor side of the tire to the fender and ,maybe 1/16" on the belt side. I don't see that there is that much I can do with the spacers to gain more clearance since the button heads on the rotor are close to the brake bracket. Not sure that the new SG wheels that I have are going to help since the tire is wider, need to do different spacers & the belt pulley is a different size inner hole. Short of redoing everything back there, I might have to go back to the 130/90/16 & at this point not even sure that is going to go right. So I might be down until I can get the 2002+ SA conversion & may have to modify the rear fender area & brackets. I should go with the 200mm rear tire conversion. Thanks for all the idea's.

Toby

I don't know if this is related to your model. My friend bought a 404 for his Softail. His bike had a 202 original on it. I e-mailed the Dunlop web site and asked if this tire was suitable for the Softail because on their site the 404 was not listed under the Harley tires section. Their reply was that the 404 was not recommended for the Softtail. I know yours isn't a Softail, but it is a Harley. Something to consider.

Back