free website stats program new switch covers | Harley Davidson Forums

new switch covers

caseyleiser

Just installed chrome switch covers on my 05 ultra. Never again, what a job. A guy needs little mouse fingers for this job. Got it all back together and the brake lites wouldn,t shut off. Found the spacer for the brake lite switch lsying on the floor. Took it apart and managed to get it fixed right. Will send pics later, either pics of my torx screwdriver after I threw it thru the garage wall, or my new contol covers and levers nicely installed. I.ll decide which to send after my nap.:small3d031::small3d031::small3d031:

I know what you mean. I swapped mine a couple years back and it seems like I remember having to say a few choice words to get it to go together. Looks good when it all done though.

Just installed chrome switch covers on my 05 ultra. Never again, what a job. A guy needs little mouse fingers for this job. Got it all back together and the brake lites wouldn't shut off. Found the spacer for the brake lite switch laying on the floor. Took it apart and managed to get it fixed right. Will send pics later, either pics of my torx screwdriver after I threw it thru the garage wall, or my new control covers and levers nicely installed. I.ll decide which to send after my nap.:small3d031::small3d031::small3d031:

Been there, that little copper wedge was kinda tricky, on the right side. Exploded diagrams don't do the job any justice or much good if the parts sort of self destruct in your hands or small parts shoot off into the distance...:small3d002: but the good news is you got it sorted out. Don't feel bad and by all means you can WRITE IT DOWN in your service manual. I usually print as neatly as possible and put a red "cloud" to remind me of particular details I find lacking.

Remember that the service manual assumes the reader has a bit of technical/servicer know how...so sometimes skips some pretty tricky steps...i.e. remove fasteners on housing, but does not tell you to look in the upper housing first to glance at how things are, was just lucky that I looked there and found the copper wedge. :newsmile071:

When you jiggle things a bit, it fell all the way under neath and no way could you retrieve it without taking it apart the rest of the way and remembering to safety wire or ty wrap parts to not kink the wiring or cables...while crawling around looking for any parts that fell. :newsmile057:

Sandmar, don't let the little foibles stop you...that is why the HDTimeline forum started, to enlarge the intelligence and knowledge field from experienced novices and professionals who love this traditional piece of V-Twin Iron parked in our garage...looking forward to the next ride and personal stories and experiences...Ride Long and Ride Safe...and enjoy doing routine maintenance and customizing, it is the best way to enjoy the ride even more! :newsmile071:

Don,t let my ranting stop anyone from trying any installations on your ride. If I can do it anyone can. The satisfaction when it,s done is well worth it. I sure wasn,t going to the dealer sayin fix this mess I made. :newsmile071::newsmile071:

i also have the chrome covers and did install them and also had trouble with the right grip brake switch. when you are all done pay special attention to the rocker switches for the radio and the cruise control if you have them. these switches have brass posts that are durable themselves but the plastic buttons on them are not.my cruise control button fell off and i found it back at the hd dealer parking lot after i had left and driven 10 miles down the road.i remember seeing something laying on the blacktop but it didn't occur to be till i left town and tried to set the cruise control what it was.these little thumb buttons get loose in time and my cure was to mix up some jb weld and reinstall not only the one that fell off but the right and left grip radio control buttons that were also coming loose.i went back and tried to find the cruise button because i allready knew what a bear it was to do the switch housings say nothing about soldering a new cruise switch in.my bike is a 2005 electraglide classic with 28,000 miles. hope this helps

Back