free website stats program New style cam chain tensioners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New style cam chain tensioners

For the life of me I cannot figure out why any one would not upgrade to the better hydraulic tensioners when you have it apart, but I guess I like to do things the right way, pay me now and later for your mistakes JMO

Come on Jack. The OP already has the hydraulic setup, he is just considering aftermarket options to replace the OEM shoes

Come on Jack. The OP already has the hydraulic setup, he is just considering aftermarket options to replace the OEM shoes
I am sayin I cannot understand why ones do not do the upgrade when they have the chance instead of using the poor old style

Kind of easy to miss that, if you are not looking close. The wear pattern does tend to give it away. Indeed, now on the rollers, that is all the wear there should be for a good long time.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Jack, I don't disagree with the logic of upgrading when the opportunity presents itself but we may differ on what the upgrade should be. IMHO, the only "upgrade" to chain drive cams and plastic tensioners, hydraulic or spring loaded is gear driven cams providing crank runout will allow. Anything else remains a "consumable" piece of hardware that requires monitoring. I do understand the improvement of the hydro/roller chain setup over the early spring loaded setup; however, the cost to upgrade to gear driven cams is not much more than upgrading to the hydro/roller chain setup and completely eliminates the need to keep an eye on tensioner wear, forever.

This is one area where the fact that the MoCo bean counters have more corporatesway than the MoCo engineers is obvious. If the engineers had their way, these motors would come from the factory with gear driven cams. However, that would require tighter quality control on crank shaft manufacture, God forbid, that might mean that the crank manufacture could not be outsourced to an off shore vendor and actually made in the USA.:eek: But, then again, even though that would be great for the customer, the added cost would hit the bottom line, affect sales revenue and share price :rolleyes: and the MoCo couldn't sell all those shiny bright orange billet cam plates.:(

OK, off the soap box.;)

Back