free website stats program New style cam chain tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

New style cam chain tensioners

Those are fine. They have worn down to the rollers now and the wear should stop. Let them go another 5K and take a look.
You did notice the little chunks missing from the grooves correct? Not good in my point of view!! I have no problem with the grooves worn in but the chunking out of the material to me is unacceptable !

You did notice the little chunks missing from the grooves correct? Not good in my point of view!! I have no problem with the grooves worn in but the chunking out of the material to me is unacceptable !

Of course I saw the pitting. The missing material is gone and trapped in the oil filter, the chain is now riding on the rollers and the motor is running fine, so the train has left the station. There are several thousand Harleys running tensioners that look just like yours but, if you find that unacceptable, replace them with the CYCO shoes or gear driven cams. New OEM tensioners will very likely look the same after 10K miles. I wouldn't lose any sleep over those divits though.;)

Of course I saw the pitting. The missing material is gone and trapped in the oil filter, the chain is now riding on the rollers and the motor is running fine, so the train has left the station. There are several thousand Harleys running tensioners that look just like yours but, if you find that unacceptable, replace them with the CYCO shoes or gear driven cams. New OEM tensioners will very likely look the same after 10K miles. I wouldn't lose any sleep over those divits though.;)

Im going to give the fueling pads a run, If they wont hold up I think ill just go to gear drive and be done with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you do not get any brass looking material in your oil ride it JMO

Im going to give the fueling pads a run, If they wont hold up I think ill just go to gear drive and be done with it!
Check your run out twice before changing over just because
This is why my 07 Streetbob blew up
Not the Dino oil as some have stated

Last edited by a moderator:

Better off with CYCO; been out for a few years now with nothing but good reports. Over the years Fueling has earned the moniker of "fooling". Don't know anything about their tensioner shoes but pumps have had issues and I have read one report after another about poor customer service.

I agree with dolt... My HD stock units in my 09 King wore well, around 100,000 mile before I changed over to the Clear CYCO replacements... Easy Peasy...
I looked after the switch and all was good at about 14,000 miles... Will I Look again? NO, not unless I need to go into the cam area...I trust they are doing just fine from Others giving their reports also on the CYCO.

Lot less Expensive to switch to the CYCO product... Just buying the shoe replacement and using the original HD pressure/unit parts...
No Chipping was Observed in the CYCO VERY SLIGHTLY Grooved when I looked at mine (14,000), and HARDLY showing Marks and No Wear... CYCO, A Totally different material than HD's Hard ?ceramic orange material...

CYCO makes the replacement for the Older type (Pre 07 TC) so replacing that spring loaded shoe in that application too... Using the HD Spring Unit and the CYCO material comes in a replacement Kit ? Ebay? Remove old HD red shoe, re revet with CYCO Shoe and install...

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
For the life of me I cannot figure out why any one would not upgrade to the better hydraulic tensioners when you have it apart, but I guess I like to do things the right way, pay me now and later for your mistakes JMO

Back