free website stats program New sporty owner with too many questions | Harley Davidson Forums

New sporty owner with too many questions

Should I sell this fast or is it worth learning to be a Harley mechanic?

• yes, sell fast...

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • no. learn to do Harley repairs

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • call me anytime for help

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LKMorris

I just bought a 2006 XL 1200 L from an individual. 3 days later the front muffler started rattling very bad. Upon inspection I found NO bolts holding them on. I inquired around where the bike was from and discovered the original owner did nothing more than put gas in it and rode like crazy.I know nothing of working on this thing and am afraid I and the local dealership will become too friendly i.e. me putting their kids through college. I will be asking for guidance here quite often, I imagine. Can anyone suggest anything else I might want to take a look at before taking off on this beautiful bike? Thanks ahead of time.:newsmile071::newsmile071:

Why not learn to be a Harley Tech? It is always great to have knowledge of something else, as you always have another skill to fall back on.
I build trikes and work on GW's and I'll start at Wyotech to learn the Harley Davidson.
You can also get yourself a factory service manual and slowly work on the bike in your spare time. You can also go through the "Self Help Tips" on this forum or feel free to post your questions here and one of the knowledgeable individuals will answer your question.
By the way welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida.

Welcome to HDTimeline and your first post. I am a true testament to what this site can help you do on your bike. First off, you will want to get a service manual for your bike. :s Best money you can spend. I have learned more about my bike from reading here than I ever would have from riding. Many others have wondered in here and gone on to work on their bikes too. If you have questions, use the search box for the forum and if you still have questions, ask it in the appropriate section and there will be many people volunteering information to help you out. :s

What Joy says rings true with many of us here on the HDTimeline forum. The best way to become one with your ride is learn routine maintenance. Your 2006 Sportster is the last of the carbureted models...and the best platform to "ply your new found HD lifestyle" and wrenching skills.:s

Won't take long, your patience and learning skill is the measure of your success and don't worry...HDT has a lot of members to help you. Some of us have generations of experience, while others have only a few minutes...how cool is that?!!!:D

Definetly get the service manual. Very easy to read and understand. It has just about everythin you will need.
with the service manual, some tools, you will be good to go. And you will feel good knowing you did it yourself. :s

As the bike has no history of maintenance i would suggest that you get the appropriate service manual and change all the oils and the engine oil filter also get the tools out and go round the whole bike checking that all is secure as the hd v twin engine does vibrate a wee bit almost anything can come loose you are in a good place to start learning

Brian

LKMorris; also, after you get & read your Sporty service manual, make sure you "double nut" those exhaust header bolts and you should have no more problems w/them coming loose. Enjoy that new scoot & I'm sure it will give you many miles of riding pleasure.

Post some pics of the bike soon so we can have a look...

I just bought a 2006 XL 1200 L from an individual. 3 days later the front muffler started rattling very bad. Upon inspection I found NO bolts holding them on. I inquired around where the bike was from and discovered the original owner did nothing more than put gas in it and rode like crazy.I know nothing of working on this thing and am afraid I and the local dealership will become too friendly i.e. me putting their kids through college. I will be asking for guidance here quite often, I imagine. Can anyone suggest anything else I might want to take a look at before taking off on this beautiful bike? Thanks ahead of time.:newsmile071::newsmile071:

First off Welcome!

I love my 2006 sport R and have made only a few modifications to it..
I wanted a little more Noise and put on Python 3 exhaust, arlen-ness Big Suck Air, and jetted the carb to run Smmoooooothe and not tooooooo lean...

On your bike, Not knowing the history , I would recommend the above post on Get a HD big manual on the bike...

How many miles on it?
Did you check the oil levels? while hot after ride? (cold some times the engine tank level will shows low) reason later..
Derby cover off to check the Primary-tranny level?
How did you buy the bike from dealer or the owner?

My thoughts on the mufflers being loose .... He (someone) might of removed the mufflers he had on the bike Before you bought it,,,,putting back on the stock ones,, If so It may run rich if set to the after market ones IF that being the case...(06 bikes are the last year to have a carb.)

Like all have said above,,,,, we're here to help and don't be afraid to ask,,,, Just Give Plenty of information on Anything you want to know..... The more information you give us the better and more accurate the answers.

signed....BUBBIE

You really Hit the JackPot on all the above post!

Take it to an Indy mechanic and pay the guy for 1 hour labor to go over the bike and give you an evaluation of the condition. He will be able to tell you if you you bought a Black Hole. It can be the best $75 you will ever spend. You did not say what the mileage was on the bike. That means a bunch.

Back