free website stats program New sportster owner- a few questions... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New sportster owner- a few questions...

No it will be ok just keep filling with the higher octane, I use higher than that as they run better over the pond
[img://wwhdtimeline.com/images/custom/WAP.gif[/img]​
Ok. :)

Drain plug for the trans is at the bottom rear of the primary cover should need 32 fluid oz when bike is level oil level should be at the bottom of the clutch basket
if there is too much oil in the primary/gearbox or the oil is too thick then that could cause the clutch to drag

Brian
Thank you.

Change the spark plugs and change engine oil and trans oil. Change the fork oil also. make sure drive belt is adjusted properly and the primary chan is adjusted.

Get the Factory Sevice manual not the Haynes. If you have any mechanical ability there is no general maintenance you cant do by yourself.

Do an engine compression check so you have a base line.

Does you bike have any Mods or is it factory stock?
The plugs were actually changed as part of the PDI. I will definitely pick up the actual HD owner's manual. I am realizing as I read through the Haynes that it leaves out plenty of details lol. It has a shield and a rear pouch for small stuff, other than that I believe it is stock (ie. no engine mods or anything).

One thing that I can add is to ride ride ride ride and then ride some more. You will be surprised on how short a time it takes to " become one with your bike".
Not to sound like a mental case but every time the sun is out and I am not riding I swear that I can hear my Sporty pouting........ Also I am not sure how much premium gas ( 91 octane) is on the other side of the pool but it is cheap enough here in the states so that I don't run anything but that in my bike.
Thank you.

Hey I know fin_676, you said to make sure all is tight. Are there particular places on the bike I should emphasize more than others, or should I just check everything? haha.

Thanks guys. It will be a wonderful day out, so I will be spending some quality time with the bike. :)

Hey I know fin_676, you said to make sure all is tight. Are there particular places on the bike I should emphasize more than others, or should I just check everything? haha.

Thanks guys. It will be a wonderful day out, so I will be spending some quality time with the bike. :)

Just get the tools out and go check everything you can find once youve done it a few times youll get to know the parts on your bike that need attention

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
A word of caution if I may; don't try to ck-tighten the head blots 2 ea on either side of each spark plugs (in the open other two each inside valve covered area).. They should remain at their constant torque and stay unmolested.....

most problem areas for me are the snake skins(hose style clamps tighten when cold) and the exhaust on rear cylinder until I double nutted them. Never find stuff loose now on my 2006 sport.

signed....BUBBIE

RideTheLightning; Carb Sporty's are pretty "cold-blooded" so just make sure you're doing a good warm-up & get used to the feel where your clutch engages. Might need to give it a tad more gas on take-off (when cold), but the premium fuel will also help things a bit too. Also, just keep riding!

ditch both and buy the correct manual from HD end of i have the Clymer and there are glaring errors in it - its almost as if they took 1 bike and wrote about that then used it for all the issues - there are differences between the 883 and 1200 that are not covered in the either the Haynes or Clymer

Just out of curiosity, How much does the stealership get for one of those things?

RideTheLightning; Carb Sporty's are pretty "cold-blooded" so just make sure you're doing a good warm-up & get used to the feel where your clutch engages. Might need to give it a tad more gas on take-off (when cold), but the premium fuel will also help things a bit too. Also, just keep riding!
Yeah, I notice it takes a little while to warm up haha. Thank you.

Thanks guys!

Back