free website stats program New SE comp | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

New SE comp

On the New SE Compensator,

Short of making Cups/angled-grooves to trap the oil to Go-Inside while IN MOTION... Working around centrifugal force is plenty tough to design something Workable in such a Small area..

If and that is "IF" you were to take out a little material on the groove on the front of the direction of motion (cupping it), That May pick up a little oil while spinning and allow it to get inside better.. I can see as TIGHT the SE Compensator is built (designed) it is a challenge to do More....

I think IF i have to go to the SE comp. I'll groove the engine side like shown in posts On another Thread here...

From all my reading here and on other forums, I think ANY changes that allow a Drop or two of oil to remain inside the unit will Help...

The MAIN problem with early worn-out stock compensators is (IMO) Lugging the motor and hard hot-rodding will give the stock comp. and Early death..

On the NEW SE Comp., It is Still Not getting much IF ANY lube inside because of its design. That causing Friction and Heat, resorting into the problems of Fretting..
This in it's self isn't all that bad as the SE Compensator still does it's job..:naughty

signed....BUBBIE

I replaced my stock comp last weekend with a SE comp. My original was noisey and banged when starting. The newest comp (the one with the A at the end of the part number) is different from the previous one. I'm not sure if anything was improved. The SE comp has stopped the banging on start up and no more rattling. The old shucking primary chain sound when you would gently apply the throttle on and off is almost completely gone. The power transfer is much tighter. It has made a big difference.

I replaced my stock comp last weekend with a SE comp. My original was noisey and banged when starting. I'm not sure if anything was improved. The SE comp has stopped the banging on start up and no more rattling. The old shucking primary chain sound when you would gently apply the throttle on and off is almost completely gone. The power transfer is much tighter. It has made a big difference.

Totally agree. Questioned and questioned my "they all do that" sound for 43,000 miles and now with 57,000 miles on my '08 SG (14,000) with the SE comp. I can sleep at night.:D

I replaced my stock comp last weekend with a SE comp. My original was noisey and banged when starting. .. .. .. ..

Just so I fully understand this banging, are you referring to every now and again when I press the starter instead of starting the engine it will make a kick back sound and I have to try it over and then it starts.

Is this what you are calling the banging sound ?

Just so I fully understand this banging, are you referring to every now and again when I press the starter instead of starting the engine it will make a kick back sound and I have to try it over and then it starts.

Is this what you are calling the banging sound ?

Even with the SE comp mine does the above every now and than, but I call it a "grinding" sound. The banging is the sound we use to get right before ignition.
Hope this helps.

Even with the SE comp mine does the above every now and than, but I call it a "grinding" sound. The banging is the sound we use to get right before ignition.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, at least I know my comp isn't bad already (15,7xx miles).

Most likely that grinding noise is the spragg clutch in the starter drive starting to slip on occasion. Based on my experience, you are right on schedule with what happened to me. SE comp at 15,000, replaced starter drive at about 25,000. I got the All Balls unit and it has been working fine for 11,000 miles. In my humble opinion, the banging allowed by the weak comp shortens the life of the starter drive.

Most likely that grinding noise is the spragg clutch in the starter drive starting to slip on occasion. Based on my experience, you are right on schedule with what happened to me. SE comp at 15,000, replaced starter drive at about 25,000. I got the All Balls unit and it has been working fine for 11,000 miles. In my humble opinion, the banging allowed by the weak comp shortens the life of the starter drive.

I love Harleys about as much as anybody, possibly more because until a year ago I had never been able to own one (bought more economical metrics). So my (used) Harley is a priced possesion. But I've got to say, replacing parts like this at 15K is just plain disappointing. SURE HOPE A HARLEY DESIGN ENGINEER IS READING THIS.

SURE HOPE A HARLEY DESIGN ENGINEER IS READING THIS.

Always remember that an engineer can be nothing more than a person who understands and has a knack for calculus. School does not teach you how to work through problems or come up with creative solutions..

Getting through Medical school does not mean your a good Doctor.

Back