free website stats program New SE comp | Harley Davidson Forums

New SE comp

jsvt184

I see HD has just released a new SE compensator. Part # 40274-08A. What's the difference between the previous one and this new one? Have they cut the grooves in it for better lubrication? It would be nice if the made one that would fit without grinding the case.

I'll be watching this thread to see what changes Harley made to address the lubrication problem.

I'll be watching this thread to see what changes Harley made to address the lubrication problem.

Geez and op,

The new comp is Not an improvement on Lubrication as mentioned by some others... It is just Different and that is the best I can say about it..

When I get More information from a few Gear-Heads that Know about this product I will post about it here.. geez, you know where to look, rbabos and read as he has mentioned there...and IF you have time please report back your hear-say findings also... :D:newsmile082:

signed....BUBBIE

Hurry up with your comments fellas....I'm putting one on next weekend and I'd like to know what I'm in for. After that I'll be able to let you know my experiences with it. Thanks.

When I called my HD dealer to ask if they had a SE comp in stock for me they said they did not and would have to order one. That's when I found out about the new model. I haven't bought it yet but I plan to when it comes in next week. My stock one rattles a lot and is acting up so I figured I would replace it. I asked the parts dude what the difference was between the old and new and he didn't know, neither did the service manager. They did say that when it came in they would take a look at it and see. However what I really would like to know is what the improvements are.

If your stock one is rattling its probably loose.I put the S.E. comp on mine before sturgis this year because of starting probs what a diff wish I had done it sooner,but I was able to take the old one off with little effort no way was it at proper torque folks in the know tell me they are hard to get off so mine was loose could have been some of my problems...

The word on the interwebz is the only change is that the fiber thrust washer is now a plastic washer with spiral groves, similar to the groves in the fiber washer. Otherwise,no change.

If your stock one is rattling its probably loose.I put the S.E. comp on mine before sturgis this year because of starting probs what a diff wish I had done it sooner,but I was able to take the old one off with little effort no way was it at proper torque folks in the know tell me they are hard to get off so mine was loose could have been some of my problems...

The problem on the SE comp. is Fretting.. ie, Lack of oil getting into the unit as, there is Movement and wear there..

I'll keep my stock one for now as it does work good and will Just replace IT using Stock when needed Until HD come out with a better mouse trap.
You can read about "SE fretting" here and on a few other sites. Many builders that PLAY with their modification have gone thru with the Grooving the boss to allow oil to get in BUT not much help.. A better design IS Needed... Some Day?

signed....BUBBIE

Back