free website stats program new rotors and brakes , squealing | Harley Davidson Forums

new rotors and brakes , squealing

THOM1

just installed new stainless steel polisher rotors and new harley OEM brakes to my 06 roadking. the look is good BUT i cant stand the high pitched squeal from these brakes, sounds like a big truck with bad brakes coming to a stop. what do i need to do to shut these things up. I dont know if it is the rotors or pads but most likely the rotors since I have never put on stainless rotors before, any help here would be great. thanks Hop

You can put some antisieze or Napa Sylgilde on the backing plates to help with the noise. Is all the hardware cleaned and lubed this will make a difference:s

To prevent brake squealing i coat the backing plate of the pads with copper grease always works for me

Brian

To prevent brake squealing i coat the backing plate of the pads with copper grease always works for me

Brian

Could you provide a brand name or SKU code and the places it can be obtained or a picture of the package for us poor folks who have never heard of this stuff before?

Yupp, copper paste on the back of the pads is the ticket. I used it on my original pre-2000 brakes, the upgraded 2000-up ones, and now finally on my EBC set-up with floating rotors. Never had squealing...
I also use copper paste for the pins, but then again I probably overuse it.
Basically, anything that should be free to move/be removed = copper paste
Anything that should be stuck = Locktite

Back