free website stats program New Rider | Harley Davidson Forums

New Rider

Josmo

Wife just got motorcycle license. Says she is tired of riding behind. Looking for some advice on which bike to get for first ride.
I told her I think she should start on a Softail Classic. I started with a 1200 Sporster but now have a 2010 Road King Classic and love it.
Any suggestions?

A sportster is a good starter bike for someone who has never ridden before. After a year or so she can move up to a bigger ride.

I'd go with something smaller than a softail only because it's a lot easier to learn to pick up a smaller bike than this big hogs.

Doesn't matter, as long as she's flat footed and comfortable. When I first started riding, I was on a Heritage Springer. I've since moved into a RKC the last 2 years. I'd probably lean towards a Softail Deluxe. Low seat height, center of gravity, good hand position.
JMO

A sportster is a good starter bike for someone who has never ridden before. After a year or so she can move up to a bigger ride.

+1

I would add that if she hates it, you'll have less money tied up in a Sporty.

My wife started her riding on a Honda 125 but here in the UK that is the maximum size you can ride prior to passing a driving test she did the compulsory basic training first then rode the 125 for 3 months then her enthusiasm started to fall off as winter started taking hold so I bought a sportster for her but wouldn't let her touch it before she passed her driving test she took a 5 day course and failed the test at the end but got a retest on 22nd December and passed
Sometimes encouragement is required to get through the learning process

Brian

My wife took the MSF riders course on a Honda 200 Night Hawk. We purchased a used Night Hawk (200) and she rode it for about 6 months. She then moved up to a Honda 700 Shadow. It was a good bike for her to get the feel of a bigger bike with some power. If your wife starts out on something she can be comfortable on she can then decide which model suites her best.

As Jack suggests, have her go to the dealer and test ride all the models she likes. She should find a comfort level that she can handle.

Back