free website stats program New Rider | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Rider

Please excuse my lack of knowledge of the U.S. driving laws, but HDDON mentioned taking a MSF safety course.
Is there a driving test certificate required to ride a motorcycle in America?

I ask out of interest, because in the UK we have to pay for lessons and take a separate test for a car and a motorcycle.
I originally took my test on a bike in 1983, then a car in 1985. I didn't ride again until 2008, so for my own safety and self confidence I took the test for a bike again.

Tom

Thanks for that info Tank.
Just for information:
At 16, we can ride up to 50cc machines, after passing CBT (compulsory basic training)
At 17, we can take a theory, computer based test, followed by a road test that lasts about 1 hour.
The law changed this year and I've not fully read the new rules, but restrictions apply on size of engine depending on age.
To ride anything over 500cc, the test has to be taken on a 500cc engine or bigger.
But at 17 we can take a car test and drive a BMW.
This information is not complete, but a simple overview.
So many rules....but safety comes first.

I'm brand new to motorcycles, Harleys, and this forum. About a month and a half ago I decided I wanted a new street glide. I had a friend let me barrow his wife's bike and give me a couple of lessons. That week I bought the bike and now one month later I'm loose on the roads. Look out America, this is gonna be fun.

I can't believe your friend's wife let you learn on hers:) LOL!! Welcome from Mississippi. I'm always bummed when my husband and I make the last turn toward home because I really want to keep riding, so I know how you feel.

Back