free website stats program New rider needs riding advice to corner faster | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New rider needs riding advice to corner faster

I'm wondering why they didn't teach countersteering in your Rider's Edge course. You have described it perfectly, now just practice it at somewhat less than "on the edge speed". It will work just as everyone has said. Enjoy that bike as and modify later. Stick around and listen to the voices of experience. Be safe.
Ishmael

This topic should have been covered extensively in your riding course. If not...you took the wrong class.

May I suggest a review and perhaps many hours of parking lot practice before tackling the open road?

Best of luck to you. We need educated riders out there.

I'm a new rider and bought a 2011 Ultra. I took the riders edge course but I'm still afraid to lean my bike in a corner. I want to go fast in corners but every time I try to turn the handlebars in the direction of the turn, the bike goes the opposite direction. It's really nerve racking. I try to turn right and turn the handlebars to the right and and bike leans left. What's going on? Please help me.

best advice I can give is, find the MSF Safe Ridder Course, and take it. Take the beginner course. The Advanced course is not like the beginner course. I feel that this course has saved my life more that once. Don't think you are too manly to take a "Beginner" course. I took it when I returned to ridding after several years off. now I take the advanced course every 2 years or so. From your post, the "Riders Edge Course" didn't teach you very much. At the very least they should have tought you about Counter steer on a motorcycle. That is the problem you are having. Bikes and cars do not work the same. Please before you scuffup your new bike, or worse yet scuff up yourself.
"

I will try and answer your question without giving advice on how to ride.

Get your hands on a bicycle and practice tight circles leaning it over as far as you can. Now when leaning into tight turns, start to counter steer and you will feel the bike lay right down and not fight the turn. At least if you crash on the bicycle you will most likely be able to walk away.

Thanks guys for all the tips. I'll take them to hart and try and become a better rider.

After being on and off bikes for almost 30 years I finally took the MSF Basic RiderCourse. I passed the course yesterday, but, I'm not satisfied with my performance. Apparently, I have a few bad habits to break including the looking through the turn technique.

Does anyone know where I could find a diagram/map of the skills test so I could duplicate it on my own? I was told that tennis balls, cut in half make good "cones".

I do plan to practice a lot, and the Rider Coaches suggested taking the advanced class in 6 to 8 months.... I think that's a good idea for me!

Hey Road Block, You are getting some great advise here...Only thing I might add is to remember that you arn't riding a crotch rocket. and the most important thing about cornering is to get through them safely. No hurry. don't let anybody force you into doing things faster than your ready to try Safely

After being on and off bikes for almost 30 years I finally took the MSF Basic RiderCourse. I passed the course yesterday, but, I'm not satisfied with my performance. Apparently, I have a few bad habits to break including the looking through the turn technique.

Does anyone know where I could find a diagram/map of the skills test so I could duplicate it on my own? I was told that tennis balls, cut in half make good "cones".

I do plan to practice a lot, and the Rider Coaches suggested taking the advanced class in 6 to 8 months.... I think that's a good idea for me!

Like you, Ferrous, I was not happy with my performance even though I passed with a little room to spare. If anyone knows of a source for the diagrams I'd like to duplicate them and practice, just for my own satisfaction and peace of mind. The tennis ball idea is perfect for cones. Best wishes.
Ishmael

I was surprised at how many people, like myself, were enrolled in the MSF b/c they had been "off" for a few years. It was an excellent course, and trickydoc is right, you find yourself automatically referencing what you learned while on the road. I don't like for the gov't to impose anything, so I recommend the class to everyone that will listen hoping that it will never be "required".

I, too, would have liked to have not made anymistakes on the test. I do tend to practice in parking lots as often as I can. I have every intention on taking the advanced course and repeating the advanced course every year. I'm also considering signing my wife up for beginner and retaking that with her. Any learnin' is good learnin'.

Be safe and learn your scoot. I find that trouble usually arrives with confidence. Don't get too brazen as you acquire more skills; you'll never be bullet proof.

Welcome to the forum Road Block, you have found the best place on the net for knowledge and camaraderie involving motorcycles. You have been given great advise and the only thing I can add is once you have some saddle time (at comfortable speeds) try to enroll in A Ride Like a Pro Course if you still want to go fast and corner hard take A Total Control Course (click the blue text for websites. Jerry Palladino teaches slow speed handling and accident avoidance which you will use a lot. Lee Parks teaches high speed handling, as a former racer his courses are technical and you will leave them with the knowledge and ability to ride fast safely.

Both of these courses added together will cost as much as a high end helmet, but will help you avoid crashing which is much better than needing protection in a crash.:bigsmiley12:

Back