free website stats program New rider needs riding advice to corner faster | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New rider needs riding advice to corner faster

I wouldn't go too fast into a corner unless I was 100% sure that I can get though it o.k. There are to many unknowns for the inexperienced rider. If I am going too fast and I fail to be on my own side of the road on a blind corner, that spells disaster waiting to happen. Especially if a cager is coming around the same corner towards you and he is on the wrong side of the road! It is a perfect storm for a head on collision. Try to, with practice , to get that steering under control before you head into a corner faster than you are comfortable in doing. Take it slow at first. It will come to you. You want to be safe first and foremost before entering curves at a high rate of speed.

I wouldn't go too fast into a corner unless I was 100% sure that I can get though it o.k. There are to many unknowns for the inexperienced rider. If I am going too fast and I fail to be on my own side of the road on a blind corner, that spells disaster waiting to happen. Especially if a cager is coming around the same corner towards you and he is on the wrong side of the road! It is a perfect storm for a head on collision. Try to, with practice , to get that steering under control before you head into a corner faster than you are comfortable in doing. Take it slow at first. It will come to you. You want to be safe first and foremost before entering curves at a high rate of speed.

Amen! Forget eye tearing speed and focus on smooth precision! You'll find that the speed come with it. Throttle hounds are everywhere. You know them by the worn out back tires and brakes. A pro can get there in the same time with out touching the brakes...

You need to take all the advice that has been given to you. Not sure why as to a new rider starting out on a 900 pound motorcycle. You definitely need to get all of your familiarity of bike first, then worry about cornering quickly. Because on a 900 pound motorcycle, things can go awry very fast. So "PLEASE" take it slow for awhile.

The advice posted above is sound and worth heeding. Now for my two cents ...RELAX. Ease up on the grips a little loosen the elbows and you will "feel" the geometry on the bike work for you. Take it easy and get used to the bike. Proper cornering techniques take practice and speed come with experience. You have plenty of time to practice both.:D

As everyone has said you need to understand your bike before you add speed. Counterstering is the only way to make a motorcycle go where you want it to go. If you do a google search there are many articles that will give you the information you need on countersteering. Racers not only push on the bar they also pull on the opposite bar. All of the things your are being told need to be practiced at a speed your are confortable with. Do not make the mistake in thinking you have to go as fast as the other guy. Once you master countersteering you will be suprised how well your ultra will handle.

HDDon is correct...countersteering is the only way to heel a bike way over quickly and efficiently at speed. The only other thing used to gain more ground clearance is to "hang off" moving weight a bit to the inside, and standing the bike up a few degrees so you do not eat up all your ground clearance and add margin in case the corner is bumpy.

While the latter technique is not for the "weak at heart" and definitely takes practice, Sled Dog, Hobbit and others on the forum who are accustomed to taking their bikes up to speed and...ahem...working the peg feelers with more spirited riding can attest, it takes work to know the limits of your bike and to "modify" your riding style to compensate for the lack of ground clearance...on the track you work on off camber or high center crown road courses by working on those limits. This is NOT something you do after just taking your bike out of hibernation where you and the bike are not "warmed up" after a long break.

Here is a related thread to give your bike a bit more clearance through hardware changes...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/dyna_models/36814-high_speed_cornering_mods.html

Last edited:
.....don,t just lean the bike into the corners. Just remember push right go right, push left go left. Careful you,ll find your turns will be a lot sharper . Like everyone says, practice practice practice. Remember, there are courses you can take.

You just need to practice. When you hear the ubiquitous 'it's like riding a bike', it really is. Take your time, and take it easy.

I went through the relearning stage - I had a bike in my twenties, and it wasn't much of a jump from my teen years riding bicycles and mini-bikes. Fast forward to my 50's, and riding wasn't so intuitive. Some extra time on slow roads helped work out the kinks. Just don't be too eager. Good luck to you.

All good advice and BullDog said it best. One thing to add... make looking ahead through the curve one smooth operation. BullDog's description could be interepreted to be look for the apex and then look for the corner/curve exit.

Your eyes should move in one fluid motion from entry, through the apex and on to corner exit. In a blind corner your eyes should be looking for the furthest most point you can see.

If you pause your vision as you sweep the corner you'll find yourself making small corrections as you progress through the curve. (standing the bike up slightly or leaning it over further).

This process works for a cage just as well as for a bike and can be practiced in a cage to train your eyes.

One other tidbit is: in slow, out fast. Decrease your speed as you enter the corner/curve. As you progress through the corner (from apex out) slowly and smoothly increase your speed. The bike will want to stand up as you increase your speed and your exit will be smoother.

Don't worry about your speed. As you get smoother you'll gain confidence and the speed will come naturally.

Back