free website stats program New rider needs HELP! | Harley Davidson Forums

New rider needs HELP!

New owner of a 2005 xl1200c. I couldnt resist the deal, but I should have known there were going to be problems. Its not idling well and wont at all unless choked. I pulled the carb and cleaned everything (even though I didn't find anything dirty), because I knew it had been sitting for a while. It actually runs worse now and dies when throttle is applied. What did I do? I have read to look for intake leaks and change vacuum hoses and intake gaskets. Can anyone else think of anything I need to check?

The best thing you could do is to buy a manual for your bike. That being said is this a stock CV carb? If so there are several post in the self help to give you an exploded view. The "choke " is really an enricher circuit and if its not returning to full closed it will allow excess fuel into the throttle body. The accelerator pump diaphragm can also need to be replaced.

The best thing you could do is to buy a manual for your bike. That being said is this a stock CV carb? If so there are several post in the self help to give you an exploded view. The "choke " is really an enricher circuit and if its not returning to full closed it will allow excess fuel into the throttle body. The accelerator pump diaphragm can also need to be replaced.
It is a stock carb. I checked the accelerator diaphragm and it seems ok. The choke knob seems to be trying to close on its own....not sure if that is a fail safe when you increase throttle, but that's what happens. Also, I wasn't able to remove the float to get to the rubber needle valve there...but I just have a gut feeling that its not the problem.

It sounds like your low speed jet is still clogged. There are 2 jets in it, low & high speed. The float needle needs a very small punch, the arrow on the stantion is direction for removal, not install. Tap very lightly to remove the pin because if you break the mount the pin is in you will need a new carb. Non repairable. The plastic knurled ring on the enrichner knob is to tighten the tension on the cable. Tighten it first then the 11/16 nut that holds it to the mount.
tourbox

I would still check for an intake leak as air being drawn in either at the rubber seal carb to manifold or at the seals between the manifold and heads will make the mixture weak and may result in the issues you are experiencing

Brian

It sounds like your low speed jet is still clogged. There are 2 jets in it, low & high speed. The float needle needs a very small punch, the arrow on the stantion is direction for removal, not install. Tap very lightly to remove the pin because if you break the mount the pin is in you will need a new carb. Non repairable. The plastic knurled ring on the enrichner knob is to tighten the tension on the cable. Tighten it first then the 11/16 nut that holds it to the mount.
tourbox

Good advice for Tourbox but I would add. Be real easy tightening the 11/16" nut on the back. Keep in mind you are tightening it against a plastic nut. It will crack it very easily. Then your are looking at a replacement cable that costs more than worth....

Buy a rebuild kit and a service manual. It will pay large dividends in the long run...

Thanks for all of the advice! I took the carb apart again and ran a piece of guitar string through the low speed/idle jet and found some gunk...I cleaned the whole thing out again with B-12 Chemtool and reassembled. I am also replacing the manifold and carb gaskets. I will post an update when it stops raining and I can get it all put together.

There are also 3 holes in the throat, a/c side, you need to spray them as well,. the 1 on the right goes into the float bowl, don't worry to much about that one. The hole on the left will spray out the back of the throat with 3 very small hole facing up. I think they are behind the butterfly, so open tit up to see the spray. The middle one should spray up through the needle jet.
For others info., when cleaning carbs I usually use Yamaha Carb. Cleaner. I got this trick from working in my brothers m/c shop. It won't hurt rubber/plastic parts and you can reuse it, last a long time. The bottle also says to dilute, but we never did.
tourbox

Back