free website stats program New Regulator Dead Radio | Harley Davidson Forums

New Regulator Dead Radio

ridermike

I'm trying to help a friend out with his electrical gremlin and could use some help. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? He owns a 2002 FLHTC. The Regulator died and he replaced with a new oem Reg. Charges the battery fine and all is well except when he accelerates rapidly the radio and panel lights die and stay off until the ignition switch is turned off and back on. What in the world could he have done to cause this?

I understand that it's a new regulator, but did anyone check to see what the output is?

I think that the radio cutting out now at a time when the regulator has just been changed is just a fluke. He may have disturbed some already questionable wiring and when he nails the throttle the vibration causes a short circuit.
Check the harness to frame grounds to begin with. You could also run a jumper ground wire to the radio harness and see if that cures it. If it doesn't try a jumper from the + side of the battery. These will at least give you leads to run down. Intermittent problems are the worst to trace.

Over voltage will make the radio clip .Check voltage while riding down the road. Wouldn't be the first new BAD part

Back