new rear brake pads

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by supergad, May 9, 2015.

1. supergad

supergad Member

i just put on a new rear tire on my 2013 street glide wile i was that far i put on new pads road around and can hear a buzzing like sound when break is applied any thoughs???

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Sounds like dirty pistons on the brake caliper. The dirt wont let the pads retract just that extra bit. The pistons stay exposed long enough to get a dirt ring around them while they are exposed due to the width of the worn pad. The way to correct it is to remove pads carefully extend piston, they will pop out if allowed to travel too far. Clean with a toothbrush and some brake fluid. Tho other option is to live with it.

To be sure you do not have a bigger problem is to ride the bike and without using the rear brake to stop and feel the rear rotor to make sure its not blistering hot....

3. supergad

supergad Member

the buzzing stops when i let of break peddle

4. Harttoo

Harttoo Senior Member

Ride it for 100 miles to see if it stops when pad conforms to the rotor.

5. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Yep, still the same thing. You can always try like Hartoo said, ride it and see if they wear in.....

6. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

7. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

If it just started when you changed pads, I tend to believe it's just the pads breaking in and getting seated.

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Lightly sand a cross hatch on the rotor, and clean ALL material off with a good brake cleaner, ride it easy and do several slow stops to reseat the pads

9. jsvt184

jsvt184 Active Member

Same thing happened to me. I had the rear tire replaced and decided to do brake pads while I was there. I replaced stock pads with Lyndall pads. The buzzing didn't happen until a week after replacement (after break in). Rotor looks fine and doesn't get hot and sound stops when when pedal is released. Brakes work fine other than the noise.

10. kc5gxc

kc5gxc Member

I did mine on a '12 Fatboy Lo....I have a metallic cover with a fiber pad inside that was on the inside of the inside brake pad. Did you guys have this device on your inside pad ? What is it? Is it necessary ? Thanks,Pete