free website stats program New Project Bike | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Project Bike

Well I've got it all torn down, as for the heads. I found 3 good wavy washers and 1 broken one. Didn't appear to do any damage & I found the broken pieces. Attached are a couple photos to show what & why I was doing this. These spacers were to take up slack in the Rocker Arm. Specs call for .004-.025 end play. After removing the wavy washer I set them back up and remeasured. 2 were at .007 and 2 at .017. The kit wasn't really needed so I don't why it was placed in there by someone else. I'm having my brother trim .006-.007 off the shoulder of the Rocker Shafts to get it near .010, less noise.Evo's & TC's don't require this.
While down I also replaced the small new type throw bearing on clutch release rod with an Old style bearing(bell shape). It also has a different rod. I will post a pic of that later. Also a replaced the pressure (steel) with an Aluminum one. The are flatter and release better. This is just nice to info for those that have never been in a Shovel. Not you Capital Jack(lol)
tourbox

Attachments

• DSCN1479A.JPG
    DSCN1479A.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1483A.JPG
    DSCN1483A.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 18
Well I've got it all torn down, as for the heads. I found 3 good wavy washers and 1 broken one. Didn't appear to do any damage & I found the broken pieces. Attached are a couple photos to show what & why I was doing this. These spacers were to take up slack in the Rocker Arm. Specs call for .004-.025 end play. After removing the wavy washer I set them back up and remeasured. 2 were at .007 and 2 at .017. The kit wasn't really needed so I don't why it was placed in there by someone else. I'm having my brother trim .006-.007 off the shoulder of the Rocker Shafts to get it near .010, less noise.Evo's & TC's don't require this.
While down I also replaced the small new type throw bearing on clutch release rod with an Old style bearing(bell shape). It also has a different rod. I will post a pic of that later. Also a replaced the pressure (steel) with an Aluminum one. The are flatter and release better. This is just nice to info for those that have never been in a Shovel. Not you Capital Jack(lol)
tourbox

LOL, in the old days we used Ram Jett kits on the rockers, it was poor at best and they always leaked a bit You will have a better set up machining your own parts IMO

Did you find the pieces of the broken wavy washers just floating around in the rocker box, or did they end up elsewhere? Just curious...

Bodeen; they were in top of the head around valve spring area. Only place for them to drop to. The only exit is the oil drain hole from the head thru the cylinder wall down below the piston skirt. It drains oil down to the crank case, then into nose cone for oil return.
luckily I found all the pieces.
tourbox

Bodeen; they were in top of the head around valve spring area. Only place for them to drop to. The only exit is the oil drain hole from the head thru the cylinder wall down below the piston skirt. It drains oil down to the crank case, then into nose cone for oil return.
luckily I found all the pieces.
tourbox

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw them if found in the top end. LUCKY! Thanks for sharing.

I just scanned Somme of the comments on this thread. I a very interested in finding out how this build goes for you. I just got a 1974 XLH, I aka going to do a completed restoration. So I may be tapping into your knowledge.

I just scanned Somme of the comments on this thread. I a very interested in finding out how this build goes for you. I just got a 1974 XLH, I aka going to do a completed restoration. So I may be tapping into your knowledge.
Well I'm still waiting on 1 Rocker arm shaft to be cut. My brother's Lathe had a small problem. With an old Iron Head you may have your hands full. I saw in your Intro. post you said 2-3 yrs. It will probably be less time due to getting excited and anxious(lol). There are lots of people on here that can help and we will answer ???'s. Keep pics coming of the re-build. We like Pics.
tourbox

Well I finally got the the top end back together yesterday. A friend & I went for a ride for testing. Ended up going a little over 50 mi. Finally had a little heat and sunshine here in So. Texas. Bike ran pretty good and a little quieter. Just need to raise the Inter. jet up 1 notch and fine tune the clutch. In the low 40's today and very windy so no ride today. Yep I'm a sissy.
tourbox

Back