free website stats program New Pipes... | Harley Davidson Forums

New Pipes...

Nite sir

Just a couple questions! I just got a set of Black Rush slip-ons for my '09 Nightster which I haven't yet installed (along with black shields). I think I've read that I can put these on without doing other upgrades for the time being. What should be done next? The air cleaner, or a Power Commander? Which order? Also... I read something about a gasket for the Rush crossover exhaust... is this something that I didn't know about? ... or is this not needed for my bike. (Don't laugh! I'm not "Joe Mechanic"!) Thanks for your help!
Ken

Just a couple questions! I just got a set of Black Rush slip-ons for my '09 Nightster which I haven't yet installed (along with black shields). I think I've read that I can put these on without doing other upgrades for the time being. What should be done next? The air cleaner, or a Power Commander? Which order? Also... I read something about a gasket for the Rush crossover exhaust... is this something that I didn't know about? ... or is this not needed for my bike. (Don't laugh! I'm not "Joe Mechanic"!) Thanks for your help!
Ken

wish i could help but i can't. but i am sure someone will be along shortly with all your answers. enjoy your new upgrades

Hi lorne,

I had Rush slip ons on my '08 Street Bob until the last dealer visit. I'm no bike expert yet, but defenitely a motor guy. I do know that Harley's these days run very lean from the factory to meet emissions (EDIT) so when you open them up either by exhaust or intake or both (increasing breathing), you set a even leaner condition in the motor. I would try and limit the time between upgrading your ECM once your upgrade intake / exhaust or both. Long term exposure to this condition will burn up your valves not to mention excessive heat even more than stock. By this I mean don't put 1000's of miles on before adjusting. I would upgrade your intake next and then get a stage 1 ECM upgrade vs. a power commander at this point. I had a PCIII and found quickly after moving geographies that many dealers can't reprogram PC's while they can program HD's super tuner. I just switched mine out (i.e. threw my PCIII in the tool box) with a new 107" stage III upgrade. Good luck!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry lorne, just realized as a new guy that nite sir posted this. My appologies! Ride Hard! It's warming up in Wisconsin!

Nite sir; you're good to go w/pipes only (slip-on) - motor will still run a tad lean, but nothing to worry about w/damage. ECM can adjust for this type of change & the Rush pipes aren't much different from stock set-up. For clamps - they're probably referring to pipe clamp where your slip-on's meet the header. Your kit should have new ones, or you can re-use stock HD - just make sure you put a bead of HT silicone (copper) around inside of pipe before sliding onto header - need air-tight seal (no leaks).

Next mod should be tuner so you're ready for future upgrades (i.e. air). SERT's work well on Sporties, but my personal recommendation is Dobeck (TFI or GEN3.X). Very easy to install & adjust - good luck & enjoy wrench'n.

As iceman says you are good to go, if you add a high flow a/c you will want to do something to add fuel to richen it up a TFI or other tuner would be good.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll start with the pipes and then get a TFI as instructed! I'll let 'ya know how it goes...

Ken

It depends on which size Rush mufflers you got, up to (I believe) 1.75 inch baffle openings you are good to go with stock ECM,, anything larger than that you should go with a Power Commander or some other ignition controller to adjust. Rush baffles come in t 1.75, 2.00 and 2.25.

I had 1.75 Rush on my 883 with no other mods and it was fine. I have since switched back to stock as I like quiet. As far as the gaskets go, the crossover pipe is part of the mount and stays on the bike when you change mufflers, there should be a small metal mesh gasket where the mufflers go into the crossover.

Back