free website stats program New Pipes with no tune! | Harley Davidson Forums

New Pipes with no tune!

gardjs

I have a 2012 Road King. I put on a S&S air cleaner, V&H Power duals and Hi Output slipons. I haven't had it tuned yet. I went for a ride, it started nicely, accelerated nicely, no deceleration pop, and when I got home I checked the plugs the next day and they were brown with a touch of white! So does the ECM make the adjustment using the O2 sensors? or maybe I'm color blind! I'm waiting for my SERT to get the best tune, but this is interesting to me.

I'm surprised the plugs were not burning more white and it ran so well after leaning it out more.
You may want to keep an eye on the plugs until you get your SERT or whatever fuel management system you add.
The color you described sounds to me to be a good burn.

2012 models have O2 sensors in the cat part of the head pipes and the can bus software in the ECM, you can now get away with exhaust and air cleaner changes easier than the older models, keep an eye on your plugs and listen for de cel popping

Today's gasoline, and fuel injection make plug reading very difficult. Looking at the tip of the plug is pretty unreliable. Way up inside the insulator, and the ground strap are the best places. Also, accurate readings need to be taken with new plugs, at the throttle position you want to know about, and chopping the ignition and coasting to a stop. Air filter and slip ons are not going to change enough to worry about. JMO of course.

ok so I looked at my service manual and it says white, grey, or light tan with fluffy residue. Here is a look...oops I mean powdery...lol

Attachments

• softail service manual 2013 aaa.jpg
    softail service manual 2013 aaa.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 11
Breeze is right, however with a light and a good eye loop you can check down the insulator and the tip for high speed glazing, that would be too lean and an engine destroyer. The wide band o2 sensors and the can bus ECM is smarter than older ECM and can make more adjustments, you should be fine, I have already changed my exhaust and re routed the head breathers to the atmosphere via a hole in the backing plate, a hose and a lawn mower fuel filter, runs good no oil and vapors going in thru my intake

Thanks for all of your input. I'll take a closer look at the plugs. I'm getting ViED for now. Then get the SERT this winter. I can already tell the difference. It can only get better.

Back