free website stats program new pipes touching side cover | Harley Davidson Forums

new pipes touching side cover

kdaddy

Just installed new vance and hines big shot duals on my 05 electra glide. The left heat shield was touching my side cover. I readjusted all i can get out of it and there is now about enough room to slide a q tip body though at the tightest point. How much room do i need to keep from melting my side cover.

I just checked mine, and I can squeeze my little finger between the shield and cover at the tightest point. I'd suggest loosening the head flange, and the mount just above the starter. Wiggling the pipe should give you the necessary clearance.

I just loosened it all back up again. When i snug the head pipes it self adjusts.i let the pipe free fall till the curve touched the top edge of the primary. When i tighten the head bolts i end up with a little over the q tip stem width in one spot between the heat shield and the side cover where it makes the turn down the rest i can get a pinky in and i cant squeeze the tip of my pinky between the primary and header pipe. Pretty frustrated and now after loosening the head flanges i hope i dont have an exhaust leak at the port.

not all the vance and hines pipes fit the same have noticed that over the years when checking out my pipes on other bikes

I spoke t tech support at vance and hines today and they told me these were designed to be a close fit. If i had an 1/8" clearance i should be good to go with no damage to the side cover or the paint. I asked about wrapping that section of the pipe under the heat shield with heat wrap and they advised against it. They said the header pipe would hold additional heat internally and degrade the integrity of the header steel.

Back