free website stats program New Owner Considering Fat Bob or Softail | Harley Davidson Forums

New Owner Considering Fat Bob or Softail

Zamiam

Okay, new to the forum and to HD's - had dirt bikes when I was younger, thinner and fitter but looking for a recreational bike for cruising/stress relief.

Have to like the look of the bike and I know I need to ride them but interested in feedback on the relative strengths of the different models as for a new "owner" all the models are hard to decide/distingush between. I live in the deep south of the planet (New Zealand) where the roads are not like the American freeways - ie. single lane in each direction, reasonable amount of hills and tight twisty stuff.

Considering the following:

Fat Bob- Different rear suspension setup to the other two below - is this better or worse?
- Dual headlight - does this make much difference"
- Dual front disc - is this better?
- What difference is there between an 08 and an 09?
- There is a 2008 for sale with 1000miles which I can get for the same money as a new 2009. It has the following "extras":
Screamin' Eagle Stage one kit, motor capacity now 103 cu in, or 1690cc.- Screamin' Eagle cam upgrade, Kuryakin LED indicator kits front and rear, LED tail light kit, red LED 'electro-glo' light pods hidden on motor and frame, Harley custom 'stripper' seat, QD backrest 'sissy bar', Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner, Willie G "Skull" series dress-up kit: (fuel cap and fuel gauge, grips, footpegs, battery strap, pedal, shift linkage and so on).
Is this a good deal?

Softail Standard (as I prefer the look over the custom etc.)
- Any comments on these?

Night Train
- Reviews suggest they aren't the most comfortable for someone of my build - 5 9" and 280lbs

Any advice, comments really appreciated

Last edited:
Okay, new to the forum and to HD's - had dirt bikes when I was younger, thinner and fitter but looking for a recreational bike for cruising/stress relief.

Have to like the look of the bike and I know I need to ride them but interested in feedback on the relative strengths of the different models as for a new "owner" all the models are hard to decide/distingush between. I live in the deep south of the planet (New Zealand) where the roads are not like the American freeways - ie. single lane in each direction, reasonable amount of hills and tight twisty stuff.

Considering the following:

Fat Bob- Different rear suspension setup to the other two below - is this better or worse?
I would say it's a better suspension that rides better than the softail having owned both types of suspensions.
- Dual headlight - does this make much difference"
Two should give you a bit more light IMO plus you could always upgrade the bulb if necessary too.
- Dual front disc - is this better?
Definitely better!!
- What difference is there between an 08 and an 09?
The 09 would have improvements in the frame area mostly for better rigidity and some other areas as well.
- There is a 2008 for sale with 1000miles which I can get for the same money as a new 2009. It has the following "extras":
Screamin' Eagle Stage one kit, motor capacity now 103 cu in, or 1690cc.- Screamin' Eagle cam upgrade, Kuryakin LED indicator kits front and rear, LED tail light kit, red LED 'electro-glo' light pods hidden on motor and frame, Harley custom 'stripper' seat, QD backrest 'sissy bar', Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner, Willie G "Skull" series dress-up kit: (fuel cap and fuel gauge, grips, footpegs, battery strap, pedal, shift linkage and so on).
Is this a good deal?
I would go for the 09 and leave the motor stock with the exception of intake and exhaust and some fuel enrichment, but that's just me. The used one being an 08 would peak my curiosity as to why anyone would put that kind of work into it then sell it. The 09 would have a longer warranty where the 08 would possibly have a voided warranty due to the mods, depending on the dealer here.

Softail Standard (as I prefer the look over the custom etc.)
- Any comments on these?

Night Train
- Reviews suggest they aren't the most comfortable for someone of my build - 5 9" and 280lbs
Very true here!

Any advice, comments really appreciated

Hope this helps your decision.:s

I own a 08 FatBob Black Denium and love it. The Dual headlamps lite up the road nice. It's a great handling bike with the wide tires. My butt sits only 25 inches off the ground. You sit in the bike, not on it. Like most on this forum will tell you. Ride it. You'll be the one paying the payment so make sure you like it. Also, alot has be said about the denim paint. I love it. I take a wet diaper and wipe it off. Looks just like new. Black with lots of chrome, that's my baby. Going to a Stage One in the spring when things thaw out and I can go for a ride. 12 inches of snow here, then 60 degrees with 60 mile an hour winds. My bike won't see the road for a while. And I surely won't ride with salt on the road. Good luck and hope you get what suits ya and what makes ya feel good.

Hi,i'm also new to this forum,quite hard case as the first thing i find is some one from NZ and he is talking about the bike i have just bought,the 2008 Fat Bob that was for sale here in Nelson with the stage one Screaming Eagle kit and heaps of other bits and piece's.The kit doesn't void the warranty as it is screaming eagle and the reason it was for sale with only 1000 miles on it was that it was a repo job in USA with the bank.I bought this one as i would have done the same if i bought a 2009 one and this way has saved me bit of cash...really love the bike this is my 6th Harley including Softtails,this bike handles far batter than a Softtail

Hi,i'm also new to this forum,quite hard case as the first thing i find is some one from NZ and he is talking about the bike i have just bought,the 2008 Fat Bob that was for sale here in Nelson with the stage one Screaming Eagle kit and heaps of other bits and piece's.The kit doesn't void the warranty as it is screaming eagle and the reason it was for sale with only 1000 miles on it was that it was a repo job in USA with the bank.I bought this one as i would have done the same if i bought a 2009 one and this way has saved me bit of cash...really love the bike this is my 6th Harley including Softtails,this bike handles far batter than a Softtail

I bought my FatBob stock. I'm going to a Stage One as soon as I don't have to shovel snow to get to my garage. Are you running the Screaming Eagle pipes? Which ones and do you like them. The only thing I don't like about the FatBob is the sound. Too Quite.

Hi Zamiam, Glider has you well covered in his reply. From a riders prospective I had it down to two choices before I made my descision to buy, the Deuce or the Fat Bob. I made sure I took as many demo rides as possible the Fat Bob had the edge as it handled the small twisty roads better. I ride all year round and the bike goes well on the winter roads. I'd consider a stage 1 upgrade at some time but after reading some of the info on this site (Ref: Crank tolerances) I would feel wary about trying to squeeze any more power out of the engine. Take your time and make the choice that is right for you and get your dealer to give you as many demos as you need on the different bikes you are considering.

Hi not at the moment i only have the stock pipes BACK ON [ did have Vance & Hines radius ] as when bought into the country it would'nt pass it's Warrent of fitness so was getting Green sticked [ police making you take off road ] but have a friend who makes pipes so are going to make up a set that can be baffled when need be

Last edited:
A guy I work with bought a new Fat Bob last week in denim black....wow! Very cool scoot. I'm 6'2 and didn't like how I felt sitting on the bike, but hey, I'm 6'2 it happens. I would add my 2 cents here and tell you what I thought, but Glider is the man and gave you all that you need to know. Good luck!!

A guy I work with bought a new Fat Bob last week in denim black....wow! Very cool scoot. I'm 6'2 and didn't like how I felt sitting on the bike, but hey, I'm 6'2 it happens. I would add my 2 cents here and tell you what I thought, but Glider is the man and gave you all that you need to know. Good luck!!

Did the bike have mid controls? I'm 5' 10' and forward controls fit me perfect. Mid controls would cram my legs also. Reason, your butt sits 25 inches off the ground. Heck, I sit 2 inches higher on my Schwinn. Forward controls is the way to go. The design of frame (seat) and handle bars gives you full control. Along with the 130 front 180 rear tires. Awesome ride.

Back