free website stats program new or used? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

new or used?

I am going to buy my first bike as soon as I get back from Afghanistan next year. I am still not sure what to buy....new or used. If I buy new,(which I am leaning towards) it will be a while before I will be able to afford any mods or upgrades. What is the best stock bike for a new rider.

One thing you brought up was it is your FIRST bike, so if you have not ridden motorcycles on the street, take a military based training course or one by MSF or Riders Edge, and buy used for several reasons. The money savings will alllow you time to make sure your selection is the right one, and you have yet to determine preferences and riding style: solo, two-up, short or long trips, a lot of decisions to make. :33:

You are a survivor and give yourself time to reward yourself with a skill that will carry on for a lifetime, a fine tradition indeed. :cheers

Last edited:
You ask, IMO take the route thats ends up with you debt free. when you come home from there your view of the world and life make make a few changes. Taking on debt is a bad idea on return.
There are some amazing deals on great used bike right now and it may stay that way awhile yet.
Also try to be sure what you really want do not just settle for a deal
Hello, I am very afraid of debt, I don't even have a credit card! I think the number one goal should be to get as low as possible on a monthly payment, and this most likely means used! There are some super deals out there now, I've seen bikes with only a few hundred miles, half price. When the snow flies and your making payments this is one time "Smaller is Better" Moose

Thank you vey much for your service and welcome to the forum - you came to the right place, lots of Great info. here!!

Just to add my 2 cents -- I bought my 1989 Electra Glide off of Craig's List (not sure what that means regarding the virgin thing)...anyway, I got a screaming deal because of the low miles and great bike. I did not get a warrenty as I bought it from a private party however, prebuying, I took it to a garage I trusted to have them check it out. Since then, it has had a few problems, but because I'm mechanically inclined and due to this forum, I have worked them out. I like to think, I know ALOT more about my Beautiful bike now that I have rebuilt her top and bottom ends. Check around, if you get used, maybe it would be prudent to only buy if the owner has a very good representation of the service records--mine was missing quite a few.

Hope you find the ride of your dreams - and continue riding long & free!!!!

CatWoman ::rider

Back