free website stats program new or used? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

new or used?

As Smitty says, thank you for doing service and coming home being debt free is a good thing...and being able to enjoy the ride here in the states is very theraputic after being home and recovering.

Try out several bikes and then decide what it is that you would like, and then think about it and then try out some more bikes and make up your mind about new or used.

Thank you for serving our great country. My first harley is a used Dyna FXD and had low miles, but had a lot of upgrades - Wide Glide Forks with 21" wheek, LaParra seat, small ape handers or buckhorn handle bars, harley sport windsheld, hotter cam, Screaming Eagle induction and exhaust and a custom "Flame" paint job. Most people think the bike is only one or two years old but it is a 97' model. I bought it way under book value from a friend. I would say buy used if you can find a deal like I got. I would like to have a "new" bike, but mine fits me so well. By the way, I have two cousins serving in Afghanistan. I would be there if I wasn't so old. God Bless.

First off I want to thank you for your service to our Country. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand Harley has had a program dating back to WWII that they offer service men and women a discount on new bikes. From what I heard Harley offer's 10% below DEALER cost on a new bike and you can have it taken out of your military pay pre-tax and take delivery when and where you want. So you could order a 2010 or 11? now and for the year you're there, have payments taken out. This is what I have heard and I don't know how accruate it is, but it's worth checking out.

Thanks for serving, I would test ride first and then buy new prices are down and u cant beat a new ride with a warranty

If you think you might like to change bikes out if the one you bought is not 100% right for you, buy used. You can turn around and re-sell for exactly what you paid. No loss. You could even buy and sell several bikes over a period of time at no loss. This is a great way to ensure when you buy new it's the best bike for you.

Thanks for your service and sacrifice first off.
I just picked up my first bike this year and I was lucky to pick up my buddy's old unit so I knew all history and service records. There are alot of good deals on new and used units from reputable dealers. Do your self a favor and get what you want, what you feel comfortable on and what you will have for a while, you can always add, cut and change as the coin is available. Take your time making your decision.

Looks like the opinions are just about evenly split. The market for used is ripe for some great deals right now. Your in the drivers seat. I'd probably go to the dealer to check out a few bikes to showcase what I might like. Sportster, touring, etc.

Then spend all the time you need to find something used. You're bound to find a low mileage machine with lots of upgrade. Let someone elses loss be your gain. JMO.

Plus you can save some money and buy some good riding gear. Just a thought.

Last edited:
You can get a pretty good idea of the different bikes if you search the net for the used bike sites and look over the offerings but remember the prices are the "asking" prices and quite often a bike will sell for a lower price.

Back