free website stats program new or used? | Harley Davidson Forums

new or used?

pepsiman952

I am going to buy my first bike as soon as I get back from Afghanistan next year. I am still not sure what to buy....new or used. If I buy new,(which I am leaning towards) it will be a while before I will be able to afford any mods or upgrades. What is the best stock bike for a new rider.

First off.. Thank you for your service.

Now... the the question is What type of riding do you plan on doing? Solo or two up. Touring or in town? Want something just to get you feet wet?

Your best bet would be to visit your local HD store when you get back and test ride both new and used bikes. When you find the one that fits you will know it. Don't be afraid of a used bike. There are many out there with low miles, loads of bling and some even have mods already. If you go thru a dealer I would spend a little more on the extended warrenty, well worth it IMHO.

Last edited:
In my opinion if you can afford it, buy new. Nothing wrong with buying used, but there is something about being the only owner. Kind of like marrying a virgin. (can I say that?)

Now I KNOW you want a used bike!

LOL

I bought used for the very reason you said... a new bike would have cost me several thousand more and still needed a couple of grand in options. New is great, but there are some good deals out there on used bikes with low mileage that still have warranty left. I suggest you compare both when the time comes.

As was stated don't be afraid to buy a used bike. Just make sure you're dealing with a reputable dealer. I bought a used Heritage with low miles and quite a few extras. I did my homework online and knew what the price should be and the dealer had a real good deal on the bike already and even gave me an additional $500.00 off the price. There are quite a few indies out there who are getting Harley repos at auctions and you can get some really good deals.

I personally try to buy new models only.
But I admit that if you can trust the seller (dealer or private) a good used model can be a bargain.
An advantage of used vs. new is surely the first period of use: you can go full throttle since the very first mile!!
:p
Ciao
Ugo

I prefer to buy a low mileage used bike that has a service history I can see.
Don't make yourself Harley poor with payments that prevent you from enjoying the joy of personalizing your ride. As for which one to buy? I'm not even gonna go there. There's a reason HD makes so many models:gh
Thanks for what you're doing over there.

I just bought my first HD after 20+ years on other makes...another first was buying used with low miles from a good dealer. No regrets on either. I was able to get more for my $ buying used. And I invested in the extended warranty as well, knowing I'll probably keep this baby for a good 8-10 years.

a lot of times you can find like new, low mileage used bikes with alot of the mods you want already done. buying used broadens your range if you are on a budget. i bought my last bike used and very few could tell it wasnt brand new.

Back