free website stats program New Noise.. | Harley Davidson Forums

New Noise..

vtwinrigid

ride a 2001 fatboy...recently on a long ride engine developed a whistling sound., as best as I can describe..exhaust toned deepened... not sure what is going on....low mile on motor..any help out there...thanks any help

I would be looking for an intake leak myself. All you need is a can of penetrating oil like WD-40 with the extended nozzle attached. With the engine idling, direct a heavy spray of the penetrating oil at the manifold gasket area and base of the carburetor and around the seals at the manifold to head. When the spray hits the area leaking, there will be a distinct change in the sound of the engine. If the air leak is major, the change in sound will be quite obvious. Smaller leaks may only create minor changes in the sound.
Other than that, look at the exhaust flange gaskets and make sure the nuts are torqued properly to specs 60-80 inch pounds and see if you can see any carbon build up as a result of a leak around the gasket area.

Let us know what you find.

You may also want to take a look around the carb for any obvious intake port leaks that may have had a plug on it and is leaking.

Last edited:
ride a 2001 fatboy...recently on a long ride engine developed a whistling sound., as best as I can describe..exhaust toned deepened... not sure what is going on....low mile on motor..any help out there...thanks any help
Hi there! You say; The Motor developed a kind of a whistling sound?
If so" I had a sound coming from the Motor near the front toward the front wheel area of the Motor. It sounded like some Beta Mixer or some fuel injector whistle sound. In my case it turned out to be the Cam Bearing. I hope this is not your case. Check your Motor Oil for traces of metal shavings for peace of mind. If you are just refering to the Exhaust. I simply don't know on that one.
Cheers" Ray

Back