free website stats program New noise on my 2011 UC | Harley Davidson Forums

New noise on my 2011 UC

rollo3076

Got a new noise coming from the primary. Sounds like the chain could be slapping the housing. I on only hear when I let off the throttle and right back into into it. Can the primary chain get loose enough to hit the housing? Can anything else be hitting the housing? Its 2011 ultra classic, phase 1, v&h power ovals, 33400 miles, running hd syn. in the primary. Thanks for the ideas.

This is possible, try speeding up in second gear, hit the rear brake til the engine almost dies the chain should ratchet up. What do you use for tranny lube? Asking because some times the backlash from the gears will make some noise Redline or Spectro will quiet this down like you would not belive

Got a new noise coming from the primary. Sounds like the chain could be slapping the housing. I on only hear when I let off the throttle and right back into into it. Can the primary chain get loose enough to hit the housing? Can anything else be hitting the housing? Its 2011 ultra classic, phase 1, v&h power ovals, 33400 miles, running hd syn. in the primary. Thanks for the ideas.

How many miles on the bike? The problems with the late model compensators have been well documented. They are basically junk and have been upgraded twice by the MoCo. You should consider replacing the compensator with one of the aftermarket products like the Compensaver or the new compensator from Baker which I believe is now available. Replace the chain tensioner as well; they are notorious for over tightening and over loading the clutch hub and inner primary bearing. The Hayden unit is the best in auto adjustors IMHO.:coffee

+1 on both Jack and dolts suggestion, it could be as easy as a loose primary chain. As far as the compensator, the comp nut would not hold it's torque on mine and ate up the rotor. Mine sounded like a bag of marbles in the primary.

I don't like the primary chain tensioner mechanism on the newer HDs. I have changed mine out to the Hayden M6. That is just me.

You can see some info on getting the OEM tensioner to tighten up in the self-help pages.

Harley Davidson Forums

Cheers,

TQ

Just be careful ratcheting up the chain. To tight takes out trans bearing. Had to replace comp, tensioner & trans bearing last year. I put a SE manual adjuster in. With 22k on bike my chain shouldn't strech much more.

update: It was the primary chain, took in to dealer and they changed it out.

Back