free website stats program New motor break in | Harley Davidson Forums

New motor break in

2006FXDCI

I will be getting my ride back soon and have a question regarding the ride home and break in. I have read the post on the 30 to 60 back to 30 mph in third gear ten times, my question is that the shop building my engine is 75 miles away, the first 20 miles are on a four lane highway and the rest of the ride is on a two lane road. Is this to far for the first ride, should I trailer it home and if not should I make some long stops on the ride home to let the engine cool down. Thanks for your help

Why not do it before getting on the 4 lane highway on local roads. Not good to hold a constant highway speed with a new motor.

You should vary your speed in what ever gear your in. Is this a High performance motor?
If it is I would not hot rod it for 2000 miles. Break it in gentily and it will last a lomg time. I know some people say break it in like your going to ride it. I built a 96" s&s stroker motor back in 1995. I spent a few day's just cruzing around to get the 2000 miles for breakin. It now has 70,000 miles and its still a tight strong running motor. By the way it's 100hp 100 ft-lbs torque at 6000rpm.

When I bought my new 09 Ultra, I used Gliders recommendation and 7K later it runs strong with zero oil comsumption. I quickly got to 3rd gear, as hard and as fast as I could I basically redlined it, let off hard to almost stall and repeated ten times. I then rode it 120 miles home going between 4th,5th and 6th gear, 1500 -3000 RPM. Done. No need to baby it any further.

When I bought my new 09 Ultra, I used Gliders recommendation and 7K later it runs strong with zero oil comsumption. I quickly got to 3rd gear, as hard and as fast as I could I basically redlined it, let off hard to almost stall and repeated ten times. I then rode it 120 miles home going between 4th,5th and 6th gear, 1500 -3000 RPM. Done. No need to baby it any further.

Two corrections here, not to go even close to redline and not to a stall in gear, that's lugging and bad for the bottom end. You want to keep it running at a reasonable RPM.

Proper Engine Break In For New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

Even varying the speeds it still doesn't apply the power to the bottom of the rings to expand them like the 30-60 does and will not seat the rings as well.

Not sure with the rest of you, but my bike had 10 miles on when i pick it up
so sombody already did whatever, I did run the motor up and down, went over the coast range, have over 9,000 miles run mobile 1 vtween, at the end of 2500 miles when oil needs to be changed it's right were i left it

Two corrections here, not to go even close to redline and not to a stall in gear, that's lugging and bad for the bottom end. You want to keep it running at a reasonable RPM.

Proper Engine Break In For New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

I did approach redline on the excell and I guess stall was a wrong word, I basically let off untill I felt the engine needing to take off again. I guess I got lucky as it seems to be perfect and run strong. After the ride home I never thought about it again. I had less than 200 miles on it when I rode it completely normal from that point on. :D Thanks for the clarification Glider, I do not want to give out bad information.

Last edited:
i always break mine in without mercy and i have yet to have a motor pop
just stay off the limiter and vary the speeds and dont as Glider says forget to load the rings both ways

Loading the rings both ways by doing the 30-60 routine will seat the rings with more pressure than riding it easy as some do. In the long run doing the 30-60 will produce a motor that will have properly seated rings in lieu of a motor that has been broken in easy and polished things up in the cylinders before they can completely seat returning a motor that may use oil because of an incomplete or a poor ring seal.

I've broken in all my motors this way and never had one that used any oil between services.

Back