free website stats program new member needs information | Harley Davidson Forums

new member needs information

mvlloyd

Hi every one,
I'm a fairly new rider (5ys) and have purchased a 2005 sportster 883xl low. I thought some of you could help me out and teach me a bit about the bike. I don't have a manual for it.
first of all the engine has been upgraded to a 1200. how does this affect performance? I feel that the bike can be very fast and I need to take care not to let it get away from me.
also, this is going to sound stupid, but, is there a general rule in regards to shifting gears at around certain speeds. I don't have a tachometer and can't always here the engine sound clearly. I live in Canada and have to convert km to miles, that's easy enough.
that's all for now. that's for your information.

Welcome to the forum from Suwannee. First you really will need the manual at some point and even though you have been riding for awhile you would benefit from a riders safety course. As far as shifting you don't want to shift at too slow an engine speed and lug the engine down and with the Harley you don't want to over rev the engine before you shift. I'm not sure about the Sporster but somewhere in the 2300 to 2600 rpm should be in the ballpark.

I offer this advice Get the factory manual. Climer is ok, but no where as good as the one from HD themselves. Welcome, these guys are a great resource to bounce ideas off of.

:wce From Colorado. I have a tac on my bike but I still like to shift by sound. After you get a feel for yours you'll get the hang of it.

Welcome to the forum
No tac on any of my current bikes and i change gear when the bike feels right for it

Brian

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Back