free website stats program new member needs help please! | Harley Davidson Forums

new member needs help please!

Aerodawg

I just bought a 2010 fatboy lo on thursday and rode it home from the dealership thursday night, Today had my first ride had ridden approx 14 miles on it, slowed down to turn and then wham this huge squealing sound came from the bike, it scared the (EDIT) out of me and i pulled over and stopped. The squealing stopped after a few seconds then i took off and at each light as soon as slowed down or I touched brakes this huge squeal started. I had to stop 2 more times, once at home the rear brake disc was boiling hot, but the front brake Disc was cold. when i move the bike backwards it feels and sounds like the rear brake is engaged and rubbing the disc. The rear brake disc now has a golden hue color around the rim of the disc. I've ridden my honda shadow for years now and never experienced anything of this magnitude. I had checked the fluids before taking off and no engine warning lights are coming on. Since this is my first Harley I am more than nervous this may be something major. Dealership doesn't open till Tuesday. Ive only got 60miles on the bike. Im so scared right now. The bike starts up normal any ideas if this can all be caused by a bad brake or something worse?

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

It could be a defective part or even air in the system that expands and applies the brakes when it got hot. Let the dealer worry about the fix.

have the dealer pick it up and dont worry nothing ya could have done unless ya kept foot on brake pedal

Ditto...Ditto...Ditto - sounds like you have a hung rear brake & this will be covered under warranty.

Thats why we have warranties, let the dealer fix it, the problems could be many, I have seen collapsed hoses, sticking calipers and rare but does happen Please dont slap me Glider, a master cylinder can loose its free travel causing the brakes to lock up. To check for this if you were working on a car or truck you could loosen the nuts holding the master cylinder to the booster and move it forward a tad, if the brakes release you have found the problem. but here I would let The Dealer fix it and let us know how it turns out, Jack

Hey thanks for all the replies. So called the dealership yesterday scheduled them to pick it up today and they were right on time. Got a call a few hours later saying it was a factory defect, a pin that holds the brake was not pushed in the whole way so it let the brake pads slip, which in turn help destroy the other parts of the brake. They said they could see where it was destroyed from the friction. They have to order the parts and it will take about a week. They are also gonna do a thorough inspection and test of the bike to make sure all is good before returning it to me. I have to say I'm more than impressed with this dealership they have been awesome.

Wow, factory defect is something of course that is covered, but the real question is what was it and is it something that should be inspected for...that the end user should check.

Last edited:
Back