free website stats program New member has questions | Harley Davidson Forums

New member has questions

Oregold

Good morning friends my name is Mike, and I'm a new member. It's been nine years since I've owned a bike, my last one being a road king. I just bought a 1996 FXSTC with less than 6,500 miles so it's like new. Prior owner changed the battery eleven years ago and it still holds a charge and I keep it n a Battery Tender. But I want to buy a new battery, but the owners manual has no information on which size battery it takes. I would like to see what options I have rather than just buying one from my local HD dealer, so if anyone knows what size I can use for cross reference I would be very grateful. I'm looking for an AGM battery. It's been years since I've had the opportunity to ride, so I will have other questions I'm sure. I posted more information on my new older bike in the new members section. The bike is beautiful and the prior owner had a lot of upgrades done when he first bought the bike. Thanks for any help you may have. Good day. Mike in Oregon

Welcome to the forum. Your bike takes a 16 battery. A Yuasa would be YB16, a Deka would be ETX16. Those are general #'s, there are other suffix letters that determine exactly which model bike a battery is for. Harley only uses a couple sizes, but several different configurations of terminal placement. You can get a Walmart Everstart for about $35 that will last about 1 1/2 years. A lot of us use Deka that cost about $100 and last 4-6 yrs. which is made by East Penn, the same company that supplies the HD factory. There are also the overpriced Big Boar and other $250+ batteries. Google searches will find the supplier you want to use.

Last edited:
Try local battery hut that has batteries for everything.....:s

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

CARQUEST also has a chart for all HD batteries and they sell a premium AGM battery. I have one in my 93 FXRS.

Welcome. Interstate Batteries stocks advanced glass mat batteries. I use them in all my bikes.

Back