free website stats program new lifters in, not running right | Harley Davidson Forums

new lifters in, not running right

84FXRS

Just finished installing new lifters, but when I started her up, shes not running right, sounds like an air leak, but I've checked that,
an she spits from the carb, enoungh for gas to come out through the
air filter.. and suggestions?

Adjustable or stock pushrods? If they are stock, are they in the correct position? Longest (green stripe) front exhaust, 2nd longest (purple) rear exhaust, shortest (blue) rear intake, next to shortest, front intake. Did you tighten the rocker arms down s-l-o-w-l-y to let the lifters bleed off?
If they are adjustable pushrods, look in the self help section (tab at top left of page) for several good articles on adjusting.

Adjustable or stock pushrods? If they are stock, are they in the correct position? Longest (green stripe) front exhaust, 2nd longest (purple) rear exhaust, shortest (blue) rear intake, next to shortest, front intake. Did you tighten the rocker arms down s-l-o-w-l-y to let the lifters bleed off?
If they are adjustable pushrods, look in the self help section (tab at top left of page) for several good articles on adjusting.

I agree with BREEZE, check the lifters again, sounds like the intake valve is not closing (not that I am a pro at this)

stock pushrods, all same length in mine. marked them to put them back in order.
took my time , think everything is right, but I guess not.
Did note that front exhaust pr was tight, rear intake pr was tight (didn't spin but hand)

Just finished installing new lifters, but when I started her up, shes not running right, sounds like an air leak, but I've checked that,
an she spits from the carb, enoungh for gas to come out through the
air filter.. and suggestions?

Do you have a compression gauge? I would do a test and see if the cylinders leak down or the gauge bounces I bet you have a hanging valve. I hope I am wrong Good Luck

Tbones used Sifton lifters an no I didnt know to set them in oil

for those not looking to learn the hard way;
long pushrods are exhaust (outside)
short pushrods are intake (inside)
fronts and rears are different lengths
( dont mix 'em up)
looks like the valves are ok-whew

Last edited by a moderator:
did I forget to mention, rear exhaust rod ( in wrong position )
did suffer beyond use, but we are thru the worst part,
now we know whats happening and moving foward.

Back