free website stats program New ignition not wired for VOES | Harley Davidson Forums

New ignition not wired for VOES

harleydave51

A shop put a new electronic ignition in my 89 FXRS but the ignition doesn't have a wire for the VOES. The bike runs terrible. Is there something I can do to make it run better besides buying a new ignition? The vacuum hose for the switch is still hooked up, the wire from the VOES to power is just hanging there and the ground wire is grounded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way back when I installed a Dyna2000 on my '94 FLSTC I capped off the vacuum line on the carb. and abandoned the VOES. Worked like gangbusters for me. I'm not the authority on electronics but it sounds like you don't have the ignition advance set correctly.

It depends. Does the new ignition (no name) have a programmable advance curve. Do you know what your base timing & advance curve look like? Those are the things you need to know in order to get the bike to run like it should.

Hoople and Don have you covered here, if you can tell us what the ignition system is we can help more:s

Some of the Elect. Ign. have a switch built on it for VOES yes/no position. But a brand name and model # sure would help. Have you talked with shop that installed it?
tourbox

Back