free website stats program New here need help with bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New here need help with bike

Its all stock engine except the pipes. Stock cams and stock pistons. Pipes are chrome not blue or black. There is slight black soot at exhust exit. Plugs are good and clean. I checked the petcock and air filter both are clean. Just two weeks ago i drove almost 80 miles on a tank of gas. This problem just started. I have been keeping track of the milage to fuel ratio and yes im getting about 18 mpg. There is no fuel getting in crank case, no fuel on the ground i havent found any fuel leaks of any kind. There is no smell of gas in the oil and no smoke coming out the pipes. Dont know if the carbs were ever rejetted before i got it but they havent been since I got it. Every thing is just as it was when I bought the bike.

If your exhaust is black and sooty your plugs should reflect this also, if you are mechanically in clined I would pull that carb off and check the jetting and replace the float Harley Davidson Community more info in the self help section

grendal,

You got some good answers on the OTHER THREAD you started.

1994 sportster 1200 poor fuel time - Harley Davidson Community

Asking the SAME in Two threads is not allowed and takes too much of MY time to answer in BOTH...
Pleas Keep all in One thread from now on... You can RE-ask in one thread and question asked in One Thread keeps it all together for All to see.

IF your plugs Don't show BLACK and SOOTY exhaust, (you saying they don't), You are not burning the fuel as fin_676 suggested in this EXTRA thread.

Look for a "Leak" or In that neighborhood of problems.

Mr. CRANKY

signed....BUBBIE

I am assuming that the carb is also stock. I believe that someone mentioned the enrichener in the other thread. If that is not seating all the way when you turn it off it will negatively impact your fuel mileage. Pay particular attention to that when you get into the carb.

Re: 1994 sportster 1200 poor fuel time

I'm not saying you are there yet but buying an aftermarket Carb is in play at least.

grendal,

Just wondering what have you found?

You have many suggestions to check out.

Did anything turn UP?

signed....BUBBIE

As Bubbie suggested in a previous post. I merged the two different threads on the same subject here. It may be a little confusing but at least it is all in one spot.

I have to say I'm intrigued by this post...a carbed Sportster should get about 42-45 mpg highway city maybe 36-38 mpg...at least my 2004 does with somewhat rich jetting, 2 washers under the stock needle, a #46 jet, (I think #42 is stock), 1 3/4 turns on the mixture screw, after I cleaned it throughly in 2008 when I got this visiting the HDT forum back then.

Just changed the old HD plugs with stock new ones, and put over 1200 miles a couple weekends ago and still averaged just over 40 mpg combined. My pipes have a little black soot and my plugs were coffee brown with 15,000 miles on them (I cleaned and gapped them once).

That fuel is going SOMEWHERE...make sure the enricheners needles are fully retracted when all the way in, check that charcoal cannister and plumbing, it may be full of fuel. Check the lower parts of the engine and shop floor for evidence of leakage, as well as the aircleaner (if it is gas/oil soaked, that may be suspect too). The intake will take that extra dollop of fuel and not affect running too much, especially if the evap system is also helping to void out the extra fuel as well even though mixture is way too rich.

thanks for all the help,but i think my problem was caused by vapor lock ,see when i checked the petcock and fuel filter screen for dirt i mistakenly positioned the petcock so that the fuel line was resting against the head , which caused the fuel to heat up and vapor lock,i corrected the problem and so far its gone 30 miles with out needing to refill the tank !

Vapor lock won't burn more fuel...it will stop fuel flow completely.

Back