free website stats program New HD Touring seat ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New HD Touring seat ?

Hey Boss,

Good move bro I think the Low seat is the way to go. Esp if you like to get your legs out. Tell us how you like the ride when you get it.

I put one on my Ultra 3 days ago, only have 100 miles on it. The new seat lowers you about an inch, the nose is narrower so your legs aren't spread when feet-down. It's got a more consistent feeling foam than the OEM '10 seat and is a bit cushier. The jury is out on how the foam will compress over time. If it conforms to my butt in 1000 miles or so I think I'll be real happy.

I had Mean City Cycles do a double-decker conversion to my original seat with stiff memory foam on the bottom layer and softer foam on top. I was extremely pleased with the seating position and improvement in comfort. The new 'low' seat is about the same seating position as the mod. Only reason I bought the new seat is curiosity and the fact that I just can't pass up a sale. The new seat is $154 list until sometime in April. Chicago H-D is selling it for $123 + shipping and having trouble keeping it in stock, Zanotti's is getting $130 + shipping.

Anybody with a stock '09 or '10 el-crappo seat ought to jump all over this before the price goes up!

Although the .pdf indicates there's also a new strap and backrest they're a useless expendature, IMO. The old strap fits fine and the only change in the backrest is the top is smooth instead of the slight pleating. New seat looks fine with both.

TL

I am in the exact situation as you on my '09 Ultra. Compared to the original seat Allen at MCC did for me; the new one is lower and brings my legs together more; much more comfortable now getting my legs down. I have about 1000 miles on the new seat; I will send it to MCC as well; it needs better foam and some sculpting to be perfect. It seems like a great starting point for MCC where the original seat was just bad all the way around

Oh well, just canceled my order for the new Low Seat, it will not fit on an 08 Ultra.

BossMan, the PDF document does not have a cross reference, so what was the difference between the '08 and '10 model...did you find out any fitment info for our readers? i.e. will it fit an '09? :(

pdf.gif
M-1265 new touring seat change[1].pdf (217.2 KB)

BossMan, the PDF document does not have a cross reference, so what was the difference between the '08 and '10 model...did you find out any fitment info for our readers? i.e. will it fit an '09? :(

pdf.gif
M-1265 new touring seat change[1].pdf (217.2 KB)

It will fit fine on the 09's, but will not fit the 08's . My local HD did not have one in stock to compare side by side and he was not sure why it would'nt fit on the 08. But if I was guessing its because of the slightly wider frames on the 09 & 10's.:newsmile08:

It will fit fine on the 09's, but will not fit the 08's . My local HD did not have one in stock to compare side by side and he was not sure why it would'nt fit on the 08. But if I was guessing its because of the slightly wider frames on the 09 & 10's.:newsmile08:

In 09 they went to the different frame.

That is true, but the general fitment guideline for touring bikes is that all seats '08 to present are interchangeable, with this one being the only exception presently. I would question whether that fitment description is correct as well. It would have to be a specific difference for it not to fit '08 bikes.
As soon as my local HD gets one in stock I will try it on my 08 & see whats up. I will pass along the info.

TL, you put any more miles on that new seat? I just bought one from Zanotti's for a great price. Can't figure why its so much cheaper than the regular seat. Going to try it on 08 Ultra when it comes in.

Apparently this is some sort of 'intro' pricing.

An '08 seat pan fits on '09/'10s. Don't know why the new one wouldn't fit on an '08.

I am in the exact situation as you on my '09 Ultra. Compared to the original seat Allen at MCC did for me; the new one is lower and brings my legs together more...

I specifically had Allen reshape the nose on the stocker to get it as narrow as he could. I stopped by enroute to Biketoberfest last year and again on the way back for some tweaking. On mine the seating position and legs-down effect are almost the same as the new seat. So far I'm not sinking down in the new seat as much.

I have about 1000 miles on the new seat; I will send it to MCC as well; it needs better foam and some sculpting to be perfect. It seems like a great starting point for MCC where the original seat was just bad all the way around

I've only got around 300 miles on the new one, I don't expect to see what I'll see about the foam compressing and conforming for 1000 miles or so. I have noticed some slight pressure points at the top of the inside of my thighs with feet on the pegs. Seems to be some butt pressure points as well that I didn't have with the MCC mod.

I agree this would probably be a better starting point for a memory foam mod. Even as-is it's a huge improvement over the OEM junker. After this thing breaks in I expect I'll be swapping 'em back n forth for a while for the ultimate decision.

TL

Thought I would post that I just purchased a new seat marked "LOW" on it. The PFD file I was looking at that shows the part nos. gives a different part no. for the grab strap. and says that it takes a different one on the new seat. Maybe they made a mistake on mine, but the original strap on mine fit the new seat with no problems. Any one else buying one might check before buying a new strap, if you use it.

Thought I would post that I just purchased a new seat marked "LOW" on it. The PFD file I was looking at that shows the part nos. gives a different part no. for the grab strap. and says that it takes a different one on the new seat. Maybe they made a mistake on mine, but the original strap on mine fit the new seat with no problems. Any one else buying one might check before buying a new strap, if you use it.

Well I went ahead and ordered the new Low seat anyway:dknow The tech at the HD place thought it should fit. So if it dosent I will just sell it, cant go wrong with the price.:51:

Went to dealer today and bought the new low seat today, haven't rode yet but moved me down about 1 inch, old seat strap fit without any problems.:D

Back