New HD syn blend oil?

Discussion in 'Oil' started by porkchop, Nov 12, 2009.

1. porkchop

porkchop Active Member

Has anyone seen the new HD synthetic blend at the dealers? It says engine only and its about $7 per qt.

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Here is Harley's marketing mumbo-jumbo on it:

Harley-Davidson USA | Accessories And Apparel | Genuine Motor Accessories

Clearly stated it is a BLENDED, aka Group 3, oil. Why use a blend of dino and synthetic bases? What company is making this for HD?

I suggest a FULL synthetic or Group 4 20W50 engine oil in the engine, and a FULL synthetic or Group 4 75W90 or 75W140 gear lube (GL-5) in the transmission. Sporties should use a Fit-for-Purpose lubricant/coolant in the tranny/primary. Big twins should use a fit-for-purpose lubricant in the primary like Formula + from HD or Spectro Primary.

TQ

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Screamin' Eagle® Synthetic Blend Motorcycle Engine Oil - SAE 20W50
    [​IMG]
    Exclusively blended for Harley-Davidson® engines. Tested-Certified by the Harley- Davidson Motorcycle Company. Screamin' Eagle® Synthetic Blend Motorcycle Oil offers all the quality and protection of H-D® 360 mineral-based oil, plus: Improved high temperature oil stability, oil flow at cold engine start-up and oil viscosity at high engine loads Approved for use in all stages of engine life including engine break-in period. For use in engine cavity only.

I think this says it all! Still not a true synthetic but NICE TRY to get the sales up Harley even with the new packaging too. :D

No doubt still supplied by Hugo Chavez and his buddies.

Read the label and know what you are buying.

4. porkchop

porkchop Active Member

Never said i was going to use it, just interesting that they would come out with this oil and why.

5. lionsm53

lionsm53 Banned

What's different about it than their regular 20/50, other than the bottle?
    I can buy M1 VT for 2 dollars more a quart at walmart.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

OH OH more snake oil from the MOCO

7. Gator454

Gator454 Active Member

Yes I saw some the other day at the dealers. Have you ever seen the saying on the side of a soap box "New and Improved"?