free website stats program New harley buyer | Harley Davidson Forums

New harley buyer

Kenworth

I have had many different bikes over the past 20 years , but this is my first time to own a Harley. I looking at a 2005 ultra glide classic. 20,000 miles. Any thing to look for, and what do you think of that year and that model.

If the price is right and it is what you are looking for in a bike than I would have to say, you can't really go wrong. A Harley just makes you smile.
It's the best form of decompression I have found. Is it stock?
The old 88ci are great with the 5 speed, but the newer models come with 96ci and a 6 speed tranny. See if you can ride the two before you choose. Good luck and ride safe.

I have had many different bikes over the past 20 years , but this is my first time to own a Harley. I looking at a 2005 ultra glide classic. 20,000 miles. Any thing to look for, and what do you think of that year and that model.

I have an '03 UC. I love the bike, but I have done a few things to it mechanically which I think are enhancements:
  • Changed all lubricants to similar to those recommended in Oil Related Tips
  • Changed out air temp for oil temp gauge on dash
  • True Track "Trackula" upgrades
  • Pioneer 5.25" 2-way Speakers, TS-G1342R (4)
  • 6-spd SE tranny (if I was doing this again I would go with the Baker DD6)
  • Oil cooler (Jagg 10 row low mount horizontal w/oil filter adapter with the thermostat)
  • Roller chain conversion (gets rid of the spring-loaded tensioners)
  • Andrews Products 21N cams
  • TFI
TQ

2005 was a bad year for valve guide seals; many were replaced under warranty but not all had the problem. Check the VIN and see when the bike came off the line. The factory started replacing the seals late in the model year but I don't know exactly when. I have an '05 Deuce that was consuming a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles; guide seals were bad. If you can contact the previous owner, I would do that and see what he knows.

I prefer the earlier years and think '02 was the last best year for the FLs. They still had the Timken crank bearing and forged cranks, etc., but I also prefer carbs to EFI, so that tells you something as well.

Just find one you like and get it; as long as you are happy, that is all that matters.

Me personally, I would look for an 07 or later. The six speed tranny and bigger engine are worth it, IMHO. Updated radio, too. The 08's and later have the 6 gal tank. And try to get one that's pretty close to stock. That in itself will save you a lot of grief. Make your own mods if you want but the best advice I got was one word. Lever, as in "Lever alone."
:USA

Last edited:
I have a 05 Ultra and I am very happy with the ride and performance. Stage 1 with K&N air filter, Power Commander, and Vance and Hines Ovals. Here's an couple of pictures I took just the other day after using Pledge Multi Surface.

Attachments

• Bike May 09 006.jpg
    Bike May 09 006.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Bike May 09 007.jpg
    Bike May 09 007.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Bike May 09 008.jpg
    Bike May 09 008.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Bike May 09 009.jpg
    Bike May 09 009.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Bike May 09 010.jpg
    Bike May 09 010.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 43
If you do go with '07 or later, follow buddybr's advice. You need to "lever alone" because the Chinese pressed cranks and the increased factory spec for crank runout won't tolerate much upgrading. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the new temperature guage that now goes to 300*; an upgrade from the 250* guage; gotta love that. :s

Seriously, the six gallon tank is a nice feature. The six speed is a matter of personal choice but unless you roll up a lot of touring miles, you won't spend much time in 6th gear. As for the bigger engine, an earlier 88" upgraded to mild 95" will run with the new 96" and, in most cases, will run stronger and cooler.:yes

There are some killer deals on the earlier models because so many agree with buddybr and are upgrading to the later models. :cheers

If you do go with '07 or later, follow buddybr's advice. You need to "lever alone" because the Chinese pressed cranks and the increased factory spec for crank runout won't tolerate much upgrading. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the new temperature guage that now goes to 300*; an upgrade from the 250* guage; gotta love that. :s

Seriously, the six gallon tank is a nice feature. The six speed is a matter of personal choice but unless you roll up a lot of touring miles, you won't spend much time in 6th gear. As for the bigger engine, an earlier 88" upgraded to mild 95" will run with the new 96" and, in most cases, will run stronger and cooler.:yes

There are some killer deals on the earlier models because so many agree with buddybr and are upgrading to the later models. :cheers

I recommended a 07 or later because when I rode an 05 at hwy speeds, it to me seemed like it needed one more gear. Also at 65 MPH, there seemed to be VERY little throttle left.

Don't know about the crank but I do know I put 28,000 miles on my 07 with zero problems. Don't know about the temperature gage, since one did not come on either my 07 or my 09. I read, "my bike runs cooler" with this or that mod with no idea exactly how much. Are we talking about 59 degrees cooler or 3? The darn bikes are air cooled, they all are hot.

Don't understand about the never use 6th gear. I use 6th gear every time I ride, unless it just to the corner store.

I said "lever alone" because in my experience, many mods make for a poor running bike, that always needs one more thing to make it run perfect. My bikes that I have left alone, do run perfect with normal maintenance. I bought my bike to ride, not mechanic on it all the time. Peace!
:USA

Back