free website stats program new guy with a bike needs help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

new guy with a bike needs help

I kinda wish my seat had more than one screw. It kinda rattles on the frame sometimes when I sit or get up. (or maybe that's my old back, not sure).

I'm sure your battery case is different than mine, but if your neg cable is short like mine and hangs in the way, I always put masking tape over the neg terminal just so I don't slop some sparks coming out.

Good advice R_W_B...BTW, at your local hardware store there are some felt/rubber adhesive pads you can stick at the frame/stock seat bumper contact points to "tighten" up that rattle/seat movement a bit.:newsmile071:

In going over my manual I found the the stock seat on my bike was attached at two points. Behind the passenger seat with a screw (don't lose that nylon washer) and under the riders seat with a bolt on each side which goes thru the ears on the seat and into the frame. You cannot remove the rear (passenger) seat from the rider seat untill you have removed the seat from the bike.

Welcome to the forum.
Also having a '98 Heritage, HDDon last post is correct.
Seat connects behind passenger seat with a philips screw into rear fender (if have a passenger backrest, use a shorter screwdriver) and seat connects with 2 ears into frame on side of rider seat with "star" or "hex" screws (don't remember which).
Push seat back from gas tank (has a slot that metal bar from seat goes under to keep front attached).
Enjoy the ride.
Great advise on manual and batt. tender with quick connect pigtail.
John

Back