free website stats program new guy with a bike needs help | Harley Davidson Forums

new guy with a bike needs help

Hoth

Ok I'll start this way, I thought I had enough heat to keep the battery warm and like the idiot I am it is dead. Can someone explain how to remove the seat and then how to remove the battery on a 98 heritage softtail. Please be as gentle as possible because this is my first wrench to this baby.
Thanks!!!:newsmile071:

Ok I'll start this way, I thought I had enough heat to keep the battery warm and like the idiot I am it is dead. Can someone explain how to remove the seat and then how to remove the battery on a 98 heritage softtail. Please be as gentle as possible because this is my first wrench to this baby.

I don't think the '98 is much different from my '94 so here is how I get mine off. There is a screw at the rear of the seat that screws into the fender. Unscrew and move the seat toward the rear of the bike and pick it stright up, careful not to scratch the fender. There should be a nylon washer under the metal tab attached to the seat, don't lose it and make sure it is replaced before you reinstall the seat. Taking the battery out requires a 10mm open end wrench. Unscrew the two post, neg first. There should be a rubber strap over the battery with metal interlocking clasps undo thoes and lift the battery stright up.

Not sure when they went to adding 2 more screws on sides of the seat, but if it won't come up look under the sides of the saddle. My 04 strap has to also pop off on one side. Remove the (neg) first or you are asking for sparks.

I kinda wish my seat had more than one screw. It kinda rattles on the frame sometimes when I sit or get up. (or maybe that's my old back, not sure).

I'm sure your battery case is different than mine, but if your neg cable is short like mine and hangs in the way, I always put masking tape over the neg terminal just so I don't slop some sparks coming out.

You might want to get yourself a battery tender... They are not that expensive... This will allow you to plug your battery in and it will keep it charged up without damaging your battery... If you don't want to do that, if you plan on letting your bike sit for extended periods, if you disconnect the negative cable, this will prevent the battery from draining out... All batteries will drain off if they are hooked up, disconnecting your negative cable will prevent this... However, if you in an area where it really gets cold where you store your motorcycle, cold will discharge the battery even quicker so a battery tender will really help keep your battery fully charged...

Just a thought.

When I bought my tender it came with pigtail connection that connects right to the HD pigtail under my seat. It also came with battery clip pigtail. You could cut off the clamps and crimp on ring terminals and connect them to the battery. Make it just long enough to poke out under the seat. The only issue is not having the inline fuse that mine has.

Unless you have some aftermarket type seat I haven't seen the back/rear, pillion/seat is attached to the front/rider seat. My two up Corbin does not have the ears on the rider seat to attach it to the frame only the screw into the fender and the front tang that slides into a bracket under the seat. My solo Corbin has two bolts that attach the seat to the frame.

If you dont already have one I would consider an owners manual, there is a lot of good reading there and pages left blank so you can record things like oil changes and modifications JMO

Back