free website stats program New guy from southern AZ | Harley Davidson Forums

New guy from southern AZ

DesertNevar

I'm retired and own a 2008 Deluxe. I want to do my next oil change (engine, primary and transmission) myself but I have a few questions. Should I post those questions here?

Welcome from So. Texas. If you check the Self help section and look under Oil Tips it may answer your questions. You would want to post in another section if your questions aren't answered in the Self Help.
tourbox

:wce From the Rocky Mountains. Follow your manual on amounts of fluids to add to all 3 holes. Unless you have a favorite oil, tranny, and primary fluids you like using take a look at the 3 different polls and see what others are using and why.

I've got the 2008 H-D Softail service and parts manual.

My only concern was using the same Mobil1 V-Twin 20/50 in the primary case also. It seems that some people in those polls do the same so I guess I'm OK. Thanks.

I've got the 2008 H-D Softail service and parts manual.

My only concern was using the same Mobil1 V-Twin 20/50 in the primary case also. It seems that some people in those polls do the same so I guess I'm OK. Thanks.
You don't want to use synthetic fluids in the primary, it's to slippery for the clutch. I run Harley's formula + in my primary and it works well for me.

Last edited:
I need to revise my last post, all synthetics are not created equal. From everything I've read syn3 and Mobil 1 twin v are acceptable fluids for a primary although I personally don't feel comfortable doing it. JMHO.

What to put in the three holes is confusing sometimes. I sometimes wonder how some bike manufacturers use the same oil to do everything. Of course, maybe those engines don't last as long as an H-D motor.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Welcome to The Forum:s Oil is a religion to alot of folks, find what works best for you. Not all oils are created the same IMO

Back